SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shpongle

Bully house sparrows are chasing away my hummers!

shpongle
18 years ago

These forums have popped up when googling with gardening questions (many of which have been answered here) so often that I figured I ought to go ahead and join, especially since I don't see an answer this time.

I've got the beginnings of a hummingbird/butterfly garden going, and I've had some success. I recently hung a hummingbird feeder in the front, near some hummingbird flowers, and I was thrilled to see a customer the very first morning! The next day I saw another, at my petunias.

Unfortunately, I have a seed feeder in the backyard, and apparently some house sparrows have decided that this is THEIR yard. They chase away the hummingbirds. I haven't seen any hummers for about a week now, and I'm afraid they've given up.

I'm getting rid of the seed feeder (the birds have also been dropping poison ivy seeds while sitting on my fence, waiting their turns), but I'm not sure that'll get rid of the sparrows. They find plenty to eat in the front, too.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Does anyone know of something I could hang out there that would scare away the sparrows but not the hummers?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions