SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

relocating urban squirrel pests ; what I learned

Four months ago we had a long discussion here about the value, humaneness, and legality of relocating urban squirrels in an effort to preserve gardens.

See discussion here

Well, I did that relocation and, now that it is the end of the summer, here is how it turned out. An important lesson was learned. Pardon the length of this report.

I live in an urban residential area. Riparian, near a creek. Lots of trees. Lots of squirrels. Mostly Foxs and a few Greys. I've lived here about 20 years, and recently I've noticed a lot more squirrels. I used to go outside and see maybe one. But this spring I'd see two or three. The squirrels started to be MAJOR vegetable garden pests, probably because of competition for food. Taking bites out of melons, eggplants, and making off with lots of tomatoes. Geez, if you're going to eat a melon, eat the whole thing! Oh, and they terrorized my bird feeders as well, and displayed acrobatics getting around my shields for them.

Scare them away? Ha. These guys are committed. I tried leaving used cat litter and cayenne pepper around, and there are outdoor cats that patrol the area. No effect. The idea that these squirrels can be discouraged by making stuff smell threatening is, in my neck of the woods, simply delusional. I tried. Hey, these are inner-city squirrels. Not easily-intimidated rural bumpkins.

Where I live, killing squirrels isn't permitted. No poison, no bullets. But trapping and relocating them is. By TX law you can relocate them to public land without permission. There is a lot of that riparian public land around here. I had read that you needed to move them at least two miles away, in order that they couldn't find their way back.

I did that FOURTEEN TIMES, in May and June. Got a Havahart medium trap and did it big time. Worked great. Dropped them off in mostly different places. Yeah, but that adds up to an hour or two of of driving. May and June are supposed to be well after rearing season, and well before put-food-away-for-the-winter season. So I score points for a humane strategy.

My wife laughed and said that I was just bailing the ocean. That for each squirrel I removed, another would come back to take it's place.

I was trapping and relocating one every other day or so. They disappeared for a week, and I thought I had 'em defeated. Then I trapped FOUR in one day. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. I think a rogue mob came by and was trying to take over the 'hood. But I got them.

Since then. NONE. It's spooky. I haven't seen a squirrel in my yard in two months. (Well, almost. I saw one last week once, but never saw it again. Just passin' through, I guess.) Next block over there are plenty. My summer garden has been unmolested. I am very happy. We have local raptors of several kinds, and they don't seem to be too bothered. They weren't doing their job for me in the first place!

So, what's going on? Where's the ocean that I was supposed to be bailing? In talking to a local habitat biologist, it's becoming clear. Squirrels are very territorial (not so handy for the squirrels that I relocated). Except for occasional rogue squirrel mobs, they pretty much stay put. The prediction is that I won't see any squirrels until early next spring, when the new squirrels are reared. They get thrown out of the nest, and look for unclaimed places to live.

The bottom line is that YES, it looks like you can rid yourself of urban squirrels by trapping and relocating. It takes some effort, but it works. After doing a big job once, you may have to do an ideally much smaller clean-up job every spring. We'll see.

Now, I don't want to hear sob stories about relocated squirrels. Yes, their ability to survive after relocation is questionable. But they're tree rats. Get over it. Kinda cute tree rats. My position is that I gave them a chance, which bullets and poison would not have given them.

Comments (14)