SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_nh_gw

How do you 'train' bluebirds?

chris_nh
15 years ago

I read the sad story of the dead babies and the parents just huddled together on a branch. Just reading that gave me a lump. Here at my home in southern New Hampshire (my property borders Massachusetts), I have my very first experience with nesting bluebirds. I bought the pole & box from WBU, thinking that I'd either get nothing or some other type of bird. I was stunned to see that a pair of bluebirds had settled in the new house the week before Memorial Day. By May 29 I saw four eggs, and that's where we stand as of June 3. Mom and Dad are doing a fine job of nesting and I see no outward signs of problems.

But, boy, that story got me. And I don't want that to happen to me. I realize that these problems are unavoidable and 'God's will,' but I have a 12-year-old daughter who is enthralled by the fabulous photos on this message board and can't wait until we have something similar.

So, with that long-winded introduction out of the way, how do you 'train' the bluebirds to get the worms? I bought a mail-order bag of dried mealworms and put a few in a hanging feeder, mixed in with some berry suet. It hangs outside a window, which itself is about 25 feet from the bluebird house and clearly visible from it. I see no evidence (yet) that the bluebirds are touching or are even aware of this meal. All this talk of 'training' has me wondering how you accomplish this.

I have an unopened magic kit and a genie bottle somewhere, if those are likely to be instrumental :-).

Comments (12)