SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

How do you train a cat?

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
16 years ago

I don't have cats, and know nothing about them.

My daughter is feeling stress because of her cats, and I thought maybe I could get some help from someone here.

They have 2 cats, and the troublesome one is 13. He is diabetic, and rather sensitive. She adores him, and recently has been home with him during the day.

He problem is that the cat wakes her up repeatedly at night, and is not indicating to her what he wants. She keeps getting out of bed, tries to satisfy him, then has to get up again and again.

My daughter suffers from migraines, and she needs her sleep. Her husband needs sleep as well.

They live in a small apartment, and she walks them daily.

I suggested that she put him in a cage (crate like a den, not prison) in the bathroom, and maybe even put a sheet over it. Of course someone is likely to interrupt the cat in the middle of the night.

What do people do to train cats? What type of a routine can they be conditioned to follow? He has been her buddy, and often sleeps with her. But the getting up in the middle of the night is very stressful.

What do others do?

While I am at it, the diabetes is very expensive. Also whenever she takes the cat to the Vet, he/she wants to do blood tests that will often cost around $300. My daughter and her husband have just finished graduate school, have moved, and are dirt poor, since she recently had surgery. Do any of you have suggestions on how to be economical with a cat?

Sammy

Comments (16)