SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

2 hosp pairs hanging around bb box

A pair of BBs just recently fledged their family and left the box empty, so I cleaned out the nest material. The minute I did that, it seemed, 2 pairs of HOSP started landing on and hanging around the box. So I installed an inbox trap and soon afterwards, saw it had been sprung - by a female bluebird, probably wanting to start the next family. I released her, but now I dont know what to do about the box. I would love to nab me some HOSP, but I don't want to catch the BB by mistake again and can't be around to monitor the box for the next few days. So for now, I just left the inhouse trap sprung so the HOSP can look in but not get into the box. How I hate those HOSP... They were peering in at the BB while she was trapped like they would have loved to kill her, as I suppose they would have if they could get in.

Should I just let the HOSP start a nest then nab them? I am just afraid to catch the BB again.

Another strange thing about this box was that when I cleaned it out, I found a wren had started a nest, then died there and the BB had built her nest right on top of the corpse. I never heard of BBs doing that, only HOSP. And I wonder what killed the wren? My best guess is that some HOSP killed the wren and then the BB were able to drive off the HOSP. I wonder if we are breeding Super BB that can hold their own against the HOSP? Wouldn't that be great?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022