SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

what to do now, blues, tres and hosps?

lisa11310
15 years ago

Well my luck ran out. All these year w/o Hosps now I have a pesky young pair playing with my boxes. I traped him once in the box, but he got away (first time I ever tried). Had a good BB shot 2x but missed. Ground trap has only produced one mad Titmouse. The pair seems to be bonded to this box but they are just playing house. They only come a few times a day and only for moments. Now and then they will stuff something in the box. It's a sad attempt at a nest at best, they cant be serious just yet. As I said they are young, the male has just a slight, thin black bib. I had planned to let them have their way with this box as the Blues are finished building on the other side of the property and out of the Hosp sight for now. I expect the first egg by this weekend (if they are on schedule) then the spooker will go up. Enter the TRES. They want the same box the Hosps have though there is a box 15 ft in front of that box and another one 50 ft away still open for the taking. Close call today, a TRES was IN the box when the male Hosp landed ON the box..I ran out gun in hand and of course he flew off. TRES was gone too. Thats the good news. The question is what the heck do I do now? I had planned on letting the Hosp get real comfey, lay an egg then take out the male while he was sitting on the box gloating. I fear the box trap will get his lady first and he will move on to another box. I am also afraid of spooking my TRES away, (but better than being dead). I decided to open the box for today. The 2 closer boxes may give me a better shot if the Hosp decides to move in on one......I am mostly fearing for the TRES as I think the Blues will be safe with an egg and a spooker within days. Take out the nest in the box the Hosp want to keep them busy, close it? put up the trap? Tres will most likely get caught too. Leave that box open and force them to take a closer box? Risk them checking out the Blues box? My TRES are just as important if not more so than the Blues due to the thousands of miles they migrate to my property. Does anybody speak BIRD to tell me what to do? The birds are NOT following MY plans! I had it all planned out so nicely. AAARRGG. I would like to hear from you with lots of HOSP experiance...I havent a clue what to do!

Thanks and Blesings, Lisa

Comments (6)