SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Lets put our heads together... HOSPs

12 years ago

Some of you may have read about the outbreak of HOSPs in this area. I have a Martin box up and now have 2 HOSP nest in it, one with shaken eggs and one with no eggs yet. Another pair has claimed another box and are just starting to build. There was a Dee killed before the first pair bonded to a box. Blues have 5 babies and the spooker is working so far. TRES have a fairly compete nest (in the box the Dee was killed in)I am going to try a spooker on them tomorrow when I can monitor to be sure they accept it. I will put my ground trap out in a few minutes but have never had any luck with it. Van Ert going in the other box. Should I take out the female with eggs (been having a hard time gettin a shot off on the male. I know I can take her out by just shooting through the box when she's incubating. The HOSPs have not bothered either the Blues or the TREES Two things come to mind, if the female HOSP is gone, the male may sit on the box and sing for another so I can shoot him OR will he retaliate and go after the BBs & TRES? The male on the other side of the Martin box is sitting on top chirping like most HOSPs do so I can get him. Suggestions please. What would you do and in what order? I dont wanna piss them off and put my babies in further danger.

Comments (7)