SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please let me know if these lighting fixtures work together? (par

ontariomom
9 years ago

HI everyone,

After a previous post last week on lighting my kitchen, I have made my first selections on kitchen lighting fixtures so I have posted the highlights of my remaining question as the old thread was getting long. One key bit of advice that came out of the guidance I received from thread one was the need to balance the lighting over the island as we have to factor in the visual clutter of an overhead island hood with a large size pendant (not say 3 small ones and a big hood). Our island hood will likely be powder coat painted a grey blue and will have stainless banding on the end. The fan looks something like the below inspiration.

Craftsman Kitchen by Seattle Design-Build Firms RW Anderson Homes

Next, is our first crack at a lighting plan. Our house has 8 foot ceilings which is standard in Canada. The pot lights are to be 4 inch ones. I do think we will end up removing a few pot lights (probably pot #4 and #6). I have yet to calculate the lumens as per the advice davidtay gives on the lighting forum so don't know if we have too much light or not enough. At the bottom of this thread, I will explain why we don't want too many pot lights.

Here is our kitchen plan elevation picture. However, there is only a half wall behind the clean-up sink. The dining room is on the other side of the clean-up sink.

Now here are the lighting fixtures. First up is the large pendant light to balance the island fan for down lighting task light for over the 10 foot island (light is 19 inch wide with three lights) Made by Minka Lavery

Kitchen semi-flush for general ambient light (gives up lighting to kitchen). We would use 2 in the kitchen. Made by Maxim from their Finesse collection.

Possible sconce on wall with decorator plates (goes with the semi-flush above). Made by Maxim from the same Finesse collection.

Possible small pendants -- 2 over sink peninsula. Made by Maxim from the same Finesse collection.

What do you think of these lights for over the 2 windows? Will it be a mistake to introduce chrome for these lights only?

Here is what we are thinking for our dining room which is on the other side of the half wall from the clean-up peninsula.

Just for a laugh, here is why I don't want so many pot lights in the kitchen. The below passage was written by a lighting designer named Randall Whitehead in the book:Residential Lighting: A Practical Guide to Beautiful and Sustainable Design "When recessed down lighting is the only type of lighting that exists, rooms appear smaller and people look older than they are. A room filled with only recessed down lights casts harsh shadows onto people's faces, placing their features in deep shadow and making their features unattractive"

On the other hand, says the same author listed above "if you layer the light properly, it can have all the benefits of Botox without the pesky injections".

Please let me know your opinion on the light fixtures and/or the lighting plan. Thanks in advance for your help.

Carol

Comments (16)