SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfitzrn_gw

Please Help!

13 years ago

I am just gutted and so sad.

I put up a bluebird box last year and just this week my sweet bluebird couple, who had been casing it for 2 weeks, finally laid their eggs. I had been checking it for parasite eggs every day, no problem, then today I dropped the box!! It is on a shepherd's hook pole and I am too small to see into the box when it is hanging so I have been having to take it down (very carefully!) and open the side to check the nest. Today something happened, I really don't know what, but I lost grip on it and it fell, crushing all 3 eggs. I have sobbed for an hour, my poor 12 year old son is beside himself as we had been faithfully watching over the box, providing water for bathing for the mom and dad, making sure nothing would happen to the precious eggs and I MYSELF destroyed them!! I am sick with guilt and sadness, I can't even tell you. I kept the nest intact and thoroughly cleaned out the box off all remains of the eggs and put the nest back in the way it was and re-hung the box. I have no idea what to do now. This is obviously not the best way to do it, as it is clearly unsafe. If (and it's a big IF) the birds choose to try again I can bring a stool out with me to stand on to peer into the nest box so as not to put it at risk again, but I'm also considering taking the box down altogether. I couldn't stand the thought of being responsible for this kind of thing happening again. I feel just horrible! Please tell me what I should do - should I clean out the box completely, or should I leave the nest in just in case the mama hadn't finished laying? She just laid yesterday and there were 3 - could she lay more?

I am an absolute wreck. I feel so bad and so irresponsible. I am in love with this bluebird couple and the thought of being the one to destroy their eggs does me in... :'(

I watched them after it happened and I realize they are creatures of instinct. They bathed in my bird bath, and the daddy began what looked like re-building the nest. I thought the mama did the nest building but it looks like the dad is trying to fix it back the way it was. ?? I am a bluebird newbie but I really tried to do all the right things. This has been a horrible lesson.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living