SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buster01_gw

Fall tomatoes made it through summer in Texas, now what?

Buster01
12 years ago

Hello, I'm trying container gardening this year (and what a year to start!). So far my tomatoes and green peppers have been through some rough times... over-watering (lack of proper drainage in the beginning), drought (I only watered them three times in July), aphids, white flies, not enough sun, and extreme temps. So far I have had very little fruit set as I started them (all from seed) a couple weeks too late. By the time they were ready to set fruit it was too hot (it also was unseasonably hot all spring)and I got a lot of blossom drop, the few fruit that did set were small and the peppers were very thin walled. They magically have come back to life though in the last month and my Bradley tomato (the lone survivor of two) is setting fruit and growing well. The Big Boy survivor (again one of two) is flowering and growing but I think it's still working on the foliage to support fruit. Two of my 6 California Wonder peppers (3 pairs) are fruiting and all are flowering. They are now all getting full sun, but because the temps aren't cooling out. How many and when should the fall tomatoes really start setting, should I start fertilizing again now because there are a couple fruit setting already? They are also probably still being over watered because I water them deeply once a day around 2 pm to cool down the roots. I was planning to do this until the temps remain below 95 degrees for 3 consecutive days, is this wise or should I cut back to every two or three days regardless of the heat? I did increase the drainage I just don't want the roots to bake.

Comments (17)