SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

update

15 years ago

Right now we are all on a ranch just outside of Yorktown. There are currently 8 dogs, 1 cat, 2 birds, 2 lizards, 1 rabbit, 4 kids, 16 adults. There are 11 more people, 3 under 5, and 3 dogs on the way. And maybe even another 6 or 7 people and a few dogs!!!

Anyone know where we can find tents, large cooking utensils and maybe a Sam's close by? We are going to have to start setting up tents for everyone to sleep in.

Most of us have managed to register for FEMA now awaiting word.

The latest from Galveston is that the city is going to finish evacuating everone, the police, national guard, etc. are going door to door and throwing everyone out. Noone is being allowed back on the island to board up or collect belongs. We will not be allowed to return for 30-90 days.

There is damage to the causeway. I45 is blocked with debris. At least 40 houses on the west end are in the water. Water remains over most neighborhoods on the west end of the island. The infrastructure of Galveston is destroyed, there is no water or sewage services. There is damage to the Seawall. Surfside, Crystal Beach, Bolivar and other points have suffered severe damage and a lot of these areas are still under water.

Tally HO!

Comments (43)

• 15 years ago

Didn't know we had a Yorktown.
    * Sam's Club in Victoria on N Navarro - phone # 361.572.0043
    * Home Depot in victoria on NE Zac Lentz Pkwy - phone # 361.575.4704
    * nearest Bass Pro is in SAT and Pearland, & Academy's website is down so I can't check their locations

My grandparents are in East Texas, just to the east of where the eye blew through as a Cat1 storm. They are without power and water, trees down everywhere. My husband just left to take a bunch of supplies to them.

We just spent a couple of hours on the phone. The DFW area is completely out of generators and gas cans (only 1/2gal left) and running very low on things like water and batteries. When I called Northern Tool, Home Depot, Lowe's, and local Walmarts, they said that the "Dallas area" and sometimes "all of Texas" was out of the things I asked about. Tyler stores are also running low on similar items, completely out of generators. One Walmart store said that they were "warehouse out".

Take care.

~ Amy

PS: My DH just passed a convoy of utility trucks with New Mexico license plates headed into East Texas. I know it's probably not soon enough, but help is coming. We're all praying for you.

• 15 years ago

My husband is at the evacuee shelter again tonight. Most of the folks there are from the Houston area. I fear that for the Galveston folks, it may be a long and weary clean-up once you are allowed back in. This is a terrible disaster, and my heart is with you. Thank goodness for people like Tally's friend -- what a Godsend !!!

• Related Discussions

Updating my updates

Q

Comments (1)
    Now we will remember your birthday!
    ...See More

Updated updated aviary/entry hall

Q

Comments (30)
    Here is the latest plan from the architect. I do think I am going to move forward with this and cut back on one other remodeling project in the house to help make up some of the cost difference. -The architect flipped the bathroom. -He extended the wall on the left, which will have a long window above. He left one slider to get the bikes out. I like the wall as it adds more privacy from the road/driveway. -He added a door out of the garage to the back yard. - He added 8" in width by moving the wall closer to bedroom 3, so now the room is almost 13'8". But I am thinking I might just move it back to 13'. -Now, do I want a slider where the parrot cages are with access to the backyard? I kind of think I do. I can see myself pushing them out there to clean them (although they are fairly easy to clean with Lysol/bleach wipes). I could see this as a dog room also for someone else with access to the backyard. As it stands now, I might put a fence as in the third pic, and let a dog use bedroom 3 with a doggie door to the fenced area. - Th ctr. Is suggesting a door in the six foot opening into the laundry to keep the AC separate. I have no idea what to put there. Thank you!!! :)
    ...See More

Wollemi marcot update update & Monkey Puzzle approach graft update!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the update and a very merry Christmas to all as well. tj
    ...See More

Kitchen update update

Q

Comments (22)
    re. Paint. When we did our remodel in 2012, we also had the house rewired. That meant we had to paint everything. I loved my Behr color from 2004 and wanted to repeat - read: touch up only. The "paint guy" said that he would use the same formulation for the color, but that Behr had reformulated the base. So we got something that was close, but had more yellow in it from the original color and had to repaint everything. I've learned to expect that when we paint again, we'll either need to change the color or change our expectations. In the meantime, we haven't tried to touch up anything (in fact I can't remember if I even kept some touch up paint!).
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Tally, you can find just about everything you will need in Victoria.

I will be in Yorktown on Tuesday evening. Please email me, I have a tent, large pots, all kinds of stuff that you may need. Also, dog food and cat food.

Been there, done that, Tally. I feel for you. If I can help, please count on me.

Janie

• 15 years ago

Talley, hope you can find what you need. The coastal damage is so wide spread.....from Mississippi to Padre, that it will likely be 2-3 weeks before coastal residents anywhere, can get back to their homes.

I suspect it will be 10 yrs. before Galveston will get back to any normalcy.

If you live close to the coast, the main damage in the Rockport / Corpus area, seems to be the flooding from the storm surge, although that could have done damage to structures from the force of the water, as well.

Best guess, is that you will likely be displaced at least a week, maybe 2, because it rained there yesterday, as well. No idea what you will find when you can get back.

Supplies on everything are running thin, in the DFW area, because so many evacuees were up here, and they have bought all that stuff that was on hand, to take back with them.

You might find what you need in Victoria, better than San Antonio, as there are many evacuees in San Antonio, also.

Hope it turns out all right, when you get back.

• 15 years ago

(((Tally))) Are you in a house now or tent? I hope it doesn't take as long for Galveston as it has been for New Orleans.

Amy, do you know anything about Van, Texas? We haven't heard from a cousin there yet.

• 15 years ago

Tally - Also consider getting a cot to sleep in a tent. It will be more comfortable than sleeping in or on a sleeping bag on the ground. Since you have internet, you might consider ordering your supplies online to see if it can be shipped to where you are staying. REI, Dicks Sporting Goods, Academy, Bass Pro Shops, etc. should all have websites where you can order.

• 15 years ago

Marti, while I have no specifics, the Van area had mostly tree damage and power outages, and lots of rain. You probably haven't heard because of down power lines and poles.

Probably will be ok, though.

• 15 years ago

Thanks Rick.

• 15 years ago

We just got back to Rockport this afternoon. We have some minor pier damage, but that seems to be all. Our neighbors lost their pier. And there was a lot of street flooding in Rockport/Fulton, but we are doing OK. Coming through San Antonio today (we were in Kerrville), there are signs telling motorist not to go to Houston and/or Beaumont. Then another message that there is no gas.

My family in Houston, brother near Ellington Field and sister in Friendswood, got their power restored last night. Brother had no damage, but sister had a tree go through her roof, but it could have been worse.

I have a niece that was living in Kemah and lost everything, her apartment and her boat. Another niece south of Hobby is still without power. I haven't heard from my nephew in the Heights.

I have a cousin that lives on the West End of Galveston that has not been heard from. She grew up in Indiana, and this is her first experience with a tropical system. And she isn't too smart.

My son-in-law's daughter from Beaumont had to evacuate and is not expected to be able to go back home for some time.

I went through Alicia, but I have been told that this is much, much worse.

Houston is under a curfew, and I understand the downtown is closed.

Here are the websites for the 3 major Houston TV stations:

http://www.khou.com Channel 11

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/index Channel 13

http://www.click2houston.com/index.html Channel 2

Good luck Tally and everyone else that is suffering from this terrible disaster. My prayers are for you all.

• 15 years ago

Tally I am so sorry for all your going through. It's time like these that I wish had unlimited money to help those in need but I don't and all I've got to give is my heart felt prayers to you and everyone that has been misplaced from their homes.

We hold you all dear in our hearts.

• 15 years ago

ltcollins, I'm glad your place wasn't worse. Have you heard from your nephew yet?

• 15 years ago

marti8a

Thank you for asking. Yes, I found out that my nephew, who is a pilot, has been out of the country for the past two weeks, so he is OK.

I found out my cousin that was living on the West End of Galveston got out with just the clothes on her back. She, her hubby and child were living in their car. After a few phone calls, they are staying with my brother in Houston.

It is all so sad. I just can't believe what has and is happening. Prayers are being said for all victims.

• 15 years ago

Hey Tally, I have been worried about you. Left a message on your cell with my number today. I am about 1 1/2 hours from Victoria, but you are welcome to stay with me. Just call me and I can come get you or come visit. We had very minimal damage here...am thinking of you,,, let me hear from you when you have time...

Jennifer

• 15 years ago

Tally, have you gone back during the alloted time you are allowed to do so to check on things? Hopefully find your cats!!!

• 15 years ago

I responded to the other thread and sent Tally an email. No word. I'm worried. She was very sympathetic and helpful to me in my time of despair.
    My twin brother is probably still down there in the toxic waste, haven't heard from him since Monday.
    Anyway, I have cuttings or plants for anyone who wants to revive their gardens damaged by Ike:
    Crape Myrtle;
    brown turkey fig tree:
    Tropical Hibiscus;
    ferns;
    begonias;
    Brugmansia;
    cannas;
    calla lily;
    croton

I also have seeds. I feel so bad for you all. Let me know when you can start restoring your gardens, if I can send you anything.

Andrea

alpurvis1@earthlink.net

• 15 years ago

Glad to here Tally and Jennifer are O.K.........I have been worried....You are all, in my prayers ....David in Arlington

• 15 years ago

Still no word from FEMA. Other people have been authorized the same day they call for housing. I have called FEMA over 800 times and have not been able to get through. We are going to try to go to a motel tomorrow and see. We may be paying then trying to get FEMA to re-imburse us. I'm very angry with our government. The website for FEMA is not working well, you get directed back and forth to change your password and it never works. It is very frustrating.

The city is not letting anyone in. We did not get in. The line was 15 miles long. Yet we talk to people who don't live there or own property or anything who have been allowed on. You are apparently allowed on to clean up bars but not homes. There are currently MORE people on Galveston than live there!!! Yet it is "not safe" for us to return. We might be allowed home in a week. The power and water are on. Kroger is open. Home Depot is open. Restaurants are open...... We are becoming a very angry bunch. My neighborhood association is having fits!!

No word from my brother.

My Uncle Dale made the Chronicle, he's in the picture sections, Dale James sits on his steps..you can see my aunt's sewing machine. This year she had made 100 quilts for the rainbow kids, kids with cancer, we don't know if they survived. She has no flood insurance.

My cousin had 2' of water in her second floor.

My moms house is standing, less than an inch of water in the house.

No word on my house.

We can only find places giving out water and ice. There are a few places giving out MRE's but noone seems to know where. I will attempt to reach the Salvation Army & Red Cross tomorrow. We are running out of money what with driving back and forth trying to get home. Yorktown is too far from the island!!

THERE IS NOONE FROM FEMA IN THE HOUSTON-GALVESTON AREA. They have one guy in Galveston. But noone for aid!! Nick Lampson opened a place so people could apply since so many don't have electricity or internet. We also contacted his office & they helped us with the housing since I couldn't get through to FEMA. If he runs for anything I will vote for him!!

They let George Bush on but won't let homeowners on the island. He did't even bring water with him.

The city is releasing no information, few pictures, they have blocked the media and no response to any citizens. I don't know if we have a house or what the garden looks like.

I'm ready to go home!
    Tally HO!

• 15 years ago

Still no word from FEMA. Other people have been authorized the same day they call for housing. I have called FEMA over 800 times and have not been able to get through. We are going to try to go to a motel tomorrow and see. We may be paying then trying to get FEMA to re-imburse us. I'm very angry with our government. The website for FEMA is not working well, you get directed back and forth to change your password and it never works. It is very frustrating.

The city is not letting anyone in. We did not get in. The line was 15 miles long. Yet we talk to people who don't live there or own property or anything who have been allowed on. You are apparently allowed on to clean up bars but not homes. There are currently MORE people on Galveston than live there!!! Yet it is "not safe" for us to return. We might be allowed home in a week. The power and water are on. Kroger is open. Home Depot is open. Restaurants are open...... We are becoming a very angry bunch. My neighborhood association is having fits!!

No word from my brother.

My Uncle Dale made the Chronicle, he's in the picture sections, Dale James sits on his steps..you can see my aunt's sewing machine. This year she had made 100 quilts for the rainbow kids, kids with cancer, we don't know if they survived. She has no flood insurance.

My cousin had 2' of water in her second floor.

My moms house is standing, less than an inch of water in the house.

No word on my house.

We can only find places giving out water and ice. There are a few places giving out MRE's but noone seems to know where. I will attempt to reach the Salvation Army & Red Cross tomorrow. We are running out of money what with driving back and forth trying to get home. Yorktown is too far from the island!!

THERE IS NOONE FROM FEMA IN THE HOUSTON-GALVESTON AREA. They have one guy in Galveston. But noone for aid!! Nick Lampson opened a place so people could apply since so many don't have electricity or internet. We also contacted his office & they helped us with the housing since I couldn't get through to FEMA. If he runs for anything I will vote for him!!

They let George Bush on but won't let homeowners on the island. He did't even bring water with him.

The city is releasing no information, few pictures, they have blocked the media and no response to any citizens. I don't know if we have a house or what the garden looks like.

I'm ready to go home!
    Tally HO!

• 15 years ago

Dear Tally
    I'd like to send you something to help get you through. Would you post here or email me an address? Please, please, do not be shy about this...it would be an honor to help a little.
    cynthia

• 15 years ago

Oh, I could rant here, so I think I will. This is exactly the reason people don't want to evacuate, because the *?#!government won't let folks get back to their homes and try to see what they need to do. If a tornado had gone through, people would be out picking thru the debris trying to salvage what they can and gas lines could be leaking and wires down, but they are able to take care of their property. I don't think FEMA has the right to keep people away from their property. Folks should be told it's difficult and dangerous, to watch out for themselves, put a curfew in place if necessary, but let these poor people get home! I would be livid too Tally.

• 15 years ago

I don't have much since I sent so much home to my family that got devastated from Gustav but at least they have relatives to live with that lost their homes. I would like to help however I can though. Please email me an address. I am so sorry to hear of the conditions you are having to live in. I know I would be upset as well not knowing the condition of my home at least. Let me know if I can do anything to help please.

• 15 years ago

Tally, give me a address and what you need........David in Arlington

• 15 years ago

Tally, if your house was a frame construction, and along the waterfront, expect the worst. If it was a hurricane resistant construction, and some distance from the waterfront, it might have survived. I can share that I have viewed a number of photos of the island, and there a limited number of homes standing, much less salvageable.

Wish I could offer something more encouraging, but this is actually what I expected to see, with a direct hit on Galveston Island.

Until the city gets the sewage leaking under control, and cleans up the streets enough to be passable, they are not going to let you in. There are a number of reasons besides that, but too numerous to list.

I realize it is tough on those who have lost their homes, but there aren't really many options.

I just hope you can get your contact with FEMA made, and get your assistance under way. This time they provided no FEMA application process in DFW, either. You have to do it from the strike zone.

I feel your pain, but it is not going to get a lot better, for a while, at least not on Galveston island.

• 15 years ago

Tally,
    I just found this:

"Residents will be allowed to return in phases, starting from the least damaged areas, primarily behind the seawall on the east side of the island, then gradually out to the heavily damaged west end, city manager Steve LeBlanc said."

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo News

• 15 years ago

Just talked to Tally on her cell phone. Her mom's house is ok and Tally's house is still there. She doesn't know if the roof is there or how the yard fared. A friend went by and checked to see if it was still standing. Doesn't look like she got flooded. No word on her brother yet. Tally is headed back towards the coast and hoping to find a hotel. I offered to let her stay with me and another person did to, so if she doesnt get a hotel, she still has a place to stay. She has promised to call me and keep me posted, so I will update as I hear back from her if she doesn't get a chance to update herself.

Jennifer

• 15 years ago

Dear Jennifer
    That is good news and hopefully great news. Would you please ask her to email me an address. I'd like to send her a tank of gas or dinner cash or something. It would mean a lot to me to be able to help in some way.
    cynthia

• 15 years ago

Tally, find the Salvation Army, even if it is a food trailer. They will feed you.

Back when Carla came through, we didn't have anybody to help us. We just did it ourselves. The National Guard was keeping people out at first, but we were allowed to go home to fix what could be fix, and retrieve what we could find.

The Salvation Army was there day in and day out to feed us. We helped them fix sandwiches, or one hot meal a day. They brought truckloads of clothing and household items that we needed. For the rest of my life, I will support the Salvation Army.

I would be careful about believing all the stories you hear about who is in Galveston and who is not. A lot of that is just made up, and is generally manufactured to get you mad at the government. As far as doing the business online, I would not go for that either. I would present myself in person, wherever that may be. Lists online are easy to ignore. They do not convey the same kind of anger as an irritated female hurricane victim.

Yorktown is too far away. If you could get to Angleton, or Alvin, You could probably manage a lot better, and you would feel a lot better about being closer to home.

Please email me.

Janie

• 15 years ago

(((Tally))) I hope you find out about your brother soon. I'm offering help (at least what I can do from DFW)too. Email me anytime and I will give you my phone#as well. PJ

• 15 years ago

Tally, call your homeowners insurance co. I think you get 20% of your dwelling coverage for additional living expenses, due to a covered loss, other than flood. Also, let me know what plants you have lost, I will send you what I have. I love to share. Wishing you the best. Barbra.

• 15 years ago

Tally, as soon as you have a mailing address get in touch with me as well. I would like to do something to help. Most of the people in the shelters here have gotten to go back home and I know it meant a lot to them even those that didn't know what they returning to. Its still home. I know from what my family went through it costs a lot of money to live away from home and make trips back and forth for repairs. Some of it will get reimbursed but it takes a while. Please accept the offers you have been getting on here as a gift from us. All the small things you need for everyday living that you have to go out and rebuy add up. We all know what a hard time you must be having. Wishing you well.
    Kristy

• 15 years ago

many prayers to you all..fema is a joke sorry to say but I do... every number I have called after we got a few services back did nothing for us.texas and the government let us down just like they let so many others down.my heart goes out to all in the surge areas..have never seen so many trees down every where you look.................bren

• 15 years ago

(((Tally))) Any more news? Have you gotten anything from Fema or found out about your house yet? Praying everything works out for you.

• 15 years ago

Has anyone heard anything at all from Tally?

• 15 years ago

TALLY!!!!

• 15 years ago

I am so sorry I haven't posted for Tally... crazy at my house! Tally left a message last Thursday or Friday on my cell saying that her house was ok... no damage or water in it, but that her yard had gotten water and she lost about 1/2 of her plants. She said all was well with the house and that she had water and electric... so she was extremely lucky. I haven't heard from her since, and her number is on the cell I don't use anymore. It got packed up when we moved, so I had to activate an old one... haven't switched them back yet....anyways, I will charge it up and try to get in touch with her to give you an update...

All in All it seems like Tally fared well....

• 15 years ago

Has she heard from her brother yet, Jennifer? Thanks for the update!

• 15 years ago

Thank you Jennifer
    You are a dear to take time to fill us.
    smiles
    c

• 15 years ago

Great news about Tally! Thanks for the update, Jennifer!

• 15 years ago

Thanks from Burleson too! PJ

• 15 years ago

I talked to Tally today...

She has lost almost all of her plants... so I am sure that she will be thrilled with anything anyone would like to share with her. Apparently, she lost about 3/4 of the plants do to the saltwater flooding, and then a tree fell across the yard and took out most of the others. What the water and tree didn't kill, the sun fried, since her yard was one huge shaded jungle. She still doesn't have hot water, since there are major gas leaks all over the island. It may be months before she has internet service, since there was major damage to the AT&T server.

I told her about the generous offer from the San Antonio swap group and she was so excited!

Her brother's home was 4 feet off the ground... and had water up to a few inches from the ceiling.... that is over 11 inches of water in his house!

Her mom's house had water in the yard and she lost all of her plants too.. had a HUGE monkey puzzle tree that fascinated me... :( Has had it since I have known Tally... long gone... sigh...

But, all in all, Tally is in great spirits, and was busy trying to dig her hummingbird feeders out of the mud under the tree.... so she could feed the birds... gotta love that crzy woman!

If anyone would like to get in touch with Tally, email me and I will give you her cell number. I won't post it here, but she said I could give it to any of you that wanted to get in touch with her sinc email is a no-go at this point. My email is carousel@plantmeet.com

Have a great night!

Jennifer

• 15 years ago

Jennifer, is she living in her house again? Can you get a list of plants she wants when you talk to her next time? Maybe between all of us, we can replace what she lost.

• 15 years ago

what a great idea! I'm in.

Right now I have loads of healthy, gorgeous tropical morning glory that roots easily from the vine and would happily make a trip by mail. It grows in College Station, so it will be more tolerant to salt than other plants.

I have ripe seed heads for white and double yellow datura. Giant (like 5ft tall) purple celosia looks like it's setting seed now. Several lantanas, jerusalem sage, and lots more that might be tougher than I think.

c

• 15 years ago

Yes, please get us a list if you can of what she likes to grow and we can begin collecting things for her.