SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

How much mealworms is too much?

Sara_in_philly
11 years ago

My mommy bluebird suddenly became a single parent! Yesterday morning both mommy and daddy BB were at my deck taking mealworms, by late afternoon, daddy BB disappeared. This morning, still only the mommy was here. I can see the bird house, no daddy blue since yesterday afternoon.

I want to give mommy blue as many mealworms as possible without causing any harm, to help her raise her youngs. my question is how much is enough now ? How much would be too much? how often should I feed the mommy? I have 4 chicks, about one week old, I have been feeding the parents in the morning and afternoon, my mealworms are medium size.

By the way, it seems I lose quite few bluebirds.

This year, the first pair of parents disappeared together when the chicks were about 8-9 days old, this second pair, daddy disappeared yesterday; last year, I had two nestling. The first pair was fine and brought up the chicks together, the daddy of the second pair disappeared soon after the chicks were hatched, mommy blue bought up the chicks by herself. But it was hard on her, the babies didn't fly well at all when it came the fledging time.

So out of four pairs of blue bird in two years, I lost four adult BBs. The fatality rate seems very high, does this seem high to all you experts?what's your experience?

Comments (3)