SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mowers_gw

How much flux is too much flux ? And some more ??

mowers
17 years ago

I saw on This Old House, a cross section of copper pipe that failed due to too much flux, and it created errosion downstream (not sure if errosion is the correct term). I am a do it yourselfer, but now it has me thinking, did I overflux thinking more is better? Why does the flux not just wash away? Does it permanently "stick to the copper?"

While I am on the subject, for 1/2 pipe, how much solder do you add to the joint, I find myself adding too much for fear of not soldering completely and find it often pools at the bottom of the joint. Do I just tap it once? Can you actually over solder a joint filling the inside of the pipe, or does it just not accept anymore and you are basically wasting flux to the point it drips off the joint?

And while I am on the subject, what solder should I use, there is a "red" and "green" labelled roll at Home depot...one says silver and the other a tin mixture? Why two types? The store rep said the silver is better and more expensive, but they both do the same thing?

Comments (20)