SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stal14

I might lose bluebird nestling today

stal14
9 years ago

I have 4 bluebird babies, and they are supposed to fledge in 5-7 days, but they, probably, will not. One is already wounded in head by sparrow male, and bluebirds couple is losing the nest to aggressive and smart sparrow. The sparrow was already inside few times, and if I was not around, the bluebird babies would be gone by now. But I cannot protect them on my own. The bluebirds were trying hard, but their attempts becomes weaker and weaker. And the birdhouse has few protection. First I installed a spooker after the bluebird female laid three eggs, and it worked well until yesterday. This sparrow couple like crazy is determined to laid their eggs in this birdhouse. The sparrow male, first, just observed from a short distance how the spooker reacted on the bluebirds, then the sparrow made conclusion that it cannot hurt birds it landed on the birdhouse roof. Then he became brave enough to fly in it, even after both bluebirds put him on the ground, after releasing himself the sparrow flew directly in the birdhouse. Then I brought solar driven owl (which was ignored by the both species), and installed another birdhouse (with trap inside) to deter this sparrow, but he is already linked to the first birdhouse and is not going to give up. Before leaving for work, I added some fishing line around the entrance, but I have a feeling that nothing will stop this sparrow (except BB gun, which I do not have). I also installed elevator sparrow trap, but it is probably too late, perhaps it will be the part of my fall program for reducing sparrow populations. I know that this sparrow will be caught after taking over the birdhouse, but still it is tough to realize that I can do nothing for the current time being. What option do I have now? To remove the nestling, thus saving them, and bring to some bird rehabilitation center? So, this is my story.

Comments (6)