SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
griffin_md

Welcome to 'As the Nestling Grows'!

griffin_MD
15 years ago

Oh my but we have had drama here today! Our last bluebird nesting here at the house had 2 nestlings (3rd egg did not hatch), one of which fledged sometime late Thursday or early yesterday. When I checked the nest last night I thought the box was empty, but upon closer inspection, there was the sweetest little girl all hunkered down, so I quickly closed the box and left. This morning, there she was, sitting in the grass just a few feet from the nestbox but she couldn't seem to get any lift. Mama and Papa were both nearby, calling to her, and after some inspections on my part, it was obvious she wasn't flying anywhere today. I think all parties were relieved when I put her back inside the nest. We've seen both parents visiting the box to feed her and she's done some leaning, but hasn't tried to come out again. I've got a hole reducer ready to install and will probably put it on later this evening so that she doesn't try anything overnight. According to my records she's only a day behind her sibling, so I'm hoping she will be able to take flight tomorrow.

Kathy

Comments (9)