SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathmom

TRES nestlings death: weather or flies?

kathmom
14 years ago

Hi, Sadly it seems that I don't keep up with this forum or post unless there are problems, which thankfully are not every year! This year we had 2nd year TRES nesting in a Peterson nestbox that had successfully fledged most of last year's brood. This year's pair were very attentive, protective, diligent, and all 7 eggs hatched. We unfortunately had to leave for almost a week after we last checked the babies, about day 6 or 7. When we came back, things didn't look right, and sure enough, all the babies had died not long after we had seen them.

I had debated changing the nest before we left as I had known what blowflies could do to bluebirds, but felt these TRES babies seemed healthy and what I had read indicated they might be less susceptible than BBs. We had seen a fly come out of the nest once or twice when checking the TRES, but it was hard to check for larvae with the style of nestbox. We didn't see too many, though, or I would have changed out the nest.

When the box was cleaned out, there were a few dropping-like particles that could be the casings or remnants of the blowflies, but not a huge number. Couldn't see major evidence of parasites on the babies, although we didn't take too much time looking. They didn't look too bloated, and mostly had feathers on them. There were two large black beetles with orange horizontal stripes in the box, though--I suspect these came after the babies died, but can anyone confirm that?

I guess my hunch is that we had two very cold, rainy (pouring for 4 hours) and windy days, followed by a hot day, and perhaps the weather extremes made it hard for the parents to get the nestlings enough food. If anyone has helpful advice for me, it's appreciated. Been through this before, but it still stings. Plan to put up our second nestbox if we can find a good spot, so at least we may have more chances of a successful nesting next time (probably next year). Has anyone had renesting after losing a first brood late in June?

Comment (1)