SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina394

Very Sad, Mysterious Day

nina394
15 years ago

Yesterday (Wednesday) I decided to check out some BB babies that I'd seen hatching on Saturday. To my horror, I found the mother BB dead, sitting on the nest with her wings outstretched as if she was protecting the babies. I found no signs of stuggle or of why or how she died, she had no ruffled feathers or marks. The babies, of course had died too, and they looked odd -- bright yellow and completely naked without any down or feathers. I don't know how long the mother BB had been dead, but her body seemed quite fresh, so it might have been only a few hours.

Today I remembered that back in late April or early May just after the TS had migrated back to my area, I found a dead TS in the SAME box, sitting on an emty TS nest. Same thing, no obvious signs of injury...

I haven't seen any HS hanging out in my area, although yesterday I'm pretty sure I heard their familiar "cheep cheep" taunting me from some tall trees nearby... As for HOWRs, several weeks ago, a pair of HOWRs tried to build a nest in another nestbox my yard, but I managed to discourage them - maybe they've built a nest somewhere else in the trees?

The only other thing I can think to add is that very vocal Eastern Phoebe moved into my yard this spring. She had a clutch of babies in a nest on the side of my garage, they fledged, and she spends most of her day sitting on mealworm feeder pole set up about 30 feet from my doomed nestbox -- would an EAPH kill BBs and TSs?

I've put sparrow spookers on 2 of the 4 bluebird nests I have going in other parts of my property, and I'll try to get the other 2 covered today, but maybe it's only this particular nestbox that is at risk? Should I put wren guards up everywhere as well? Right now I am pretty anxious but I don't want to go overboard!

Thanks anyone for your thoughts --

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm