SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwf1_gw

Mrs. Spider dines with Mr. Tomato Horn Worm

dwf1
13 years ago

In the organic garden observation is as important a task as any. Failure to recognize signs of mischief by the uninvited can be discouraging both to the garden and gardeners mental stability. One challenge is the hunt for Mr. Tomato Horn Worm. He is a master of camouflage but evidence of his visit is unmistakable, tomato plants stripped of their leaves in only one night and tiny black pellets lying on the leaves and the ground below his obliteration. As many times before I knew I had to take action. Unbeknownst me this would be a fray unlike any before. There have been occasions when friendlies had already taken action and I could carry on as usual. On this patrol one recent afternoon armed only with bare hands and sporting my finest garden combat boots I began the hunt. I have a treaty with all factions I regulate so chemical warfare is out of the question. I found the enemy and was ready to move in when I detected something different about Mr. Tomato Horn Worm. He was discolored in a couple of places and was dining with someone whom I did not recognize, discernably paralyzed by his diner guest I might add. I quickly ran back to headquarters to arm myself with a fully automatic digital weapon, I needed to document this chance encounter for evidence should I ever need it. I have confronted Mrs. Black Widow many times but this was Mrs. Black Spider w/Red Dot on her back. I know it a mysterious name but until I acquire her real name I'll refer to her as this for now. She was a bit skittish and difficult to image due to her location but unlike Mrs. Widow whom is on my side too I thought I might have better relations with this new lady. Now I have seen gatherings of the Parasitic Wasp family dine with Mr. Worm before but witnessing Mrs. Spider intimately dinning with Mr. Worm was a bit amazing. If you know the name of this lady I would greatly appreciate you help I would like to welcome her to my neighborhood.

PS - If you have images of special friends you meet in your garden please share them.

Comments (13)