SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

Mr. tomato hornworm - found first one today

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

Ok, first let me say, that for about 10 years - the only things i'd grown were tomatoes and peppers, because of available space. So, naturally, I had dealt with the tomato hornworm - and every year I would find the worms after alot of damage had already been done.(Those little #@%&*#@'s don't play around!) Now, fast forward to current garden - and I have literally inspected every leaf at least once per day, because I really don't want any problems - and I also only have 6 plants. When I first put the transplants into the garden, I found several round, clear spheres attached to the stems, and also to the underside of leaves. As I would find them - I would squash them with something. Lo and behold - today, I noticed a little green worm on one of my plants, and when I picked him up and inspected him closer - it was a baby hornworm. Holy crap! I thought that the worms showed up when they were fully grown, but I see that I was wrong about that! Of course, I will still inspect the leaves daily - but my main question is.....is it possible that the little round spheres found earlier in the year were actually the beginning stage of the hornworm? If not, how do they get there?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths