SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

San Antonio Fall Swap Info

plantmaven
14 years ago

Date: Saturday, October 10, 20009

Time: 9:00 until......

Place: MacArthur Park on Loop 410 in San Antonio.

Pavillion #3 has about 6 large tables and benches. This will be a sack lunch. Hmmm... I guess a dessert or two would be yummy.

The main theme for the SA Swaps, I guess, is...

enjoy the company of other gardeners, keep things loose, & have fun.

We all bring our extra plants, plus any garden-related "stuff" like garden magazines, iron fence pieces, baskets, buckets, pots, manure,etc.

Pre-trades are good, since you know you'll be getting something you want, & you know your stuff is getting a new home.

You can swap anything for anything, no "rules" about seed-for-seed, plant-for-plant, etc;

as long as the gardeners agree, there you go.

You can swap a Ferrari for a package of tomato seeds if you want (or a cow for a package of magic beans)!

Just post what you have & what you want, & people can reply with offers;

once both gardeners agree, you in bidness!

Put your pre-trades for each person in a box with that person's name on it & jot down on the label or box what you are to get from that person.

If you have room in your vehicle, it's good to bring a card table, cart or little red wagon.

Loose comfy clothing, comfy shoes, a hat, maybe a sweater, water, hand lotion or sun block, newspapers for packing, Sharpies, notebook, camera, labels, etc are all good things to have on hand "just in case".

Even if you don't have much extra garden material yet, cookies & brownies go over very well, & don't worry about even-steven trades:

many of us have been doing this for several years, & we *always* have tons of plants that we'll trade for a token or even "free to good home".

(Even if you've only decided to start a garden on Friday night, by Saturday afternoon, you can start working on your garden!)

We also bring fun stuff for "door" prize drawings;

I have been buying things, but anyone can bring something for a drawing.

Here is a link that might be useful: swaps 10-10-09

Comments (51)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No problem. Anyone can "chime in".

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

***bump***

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Austin/San Antonio Fall Swap - Oct 27

Q

Comments (75)
    Ron and I had a wonderful time. He commented that I might actually have come home with less than I took, which is exceptional!! Thank you Charlotte for a great get together. It was wonderful seeing everyone and I am very pleased with all the plants I have acquired. Bob, thank you for answering my plant identification questions. I can't wait til spring! I also think there was a nice diversity in the plants. Ally & Lindsey - I will be digging purple iris' this weekend and promise to get them in the mail by monday. Lindsay you should be getting mail today, it's the seeds you wanted. It was wonderful meeting new swappers as well as seeing people from the last swap. Thank you to everyone who came and hopefully we will see you all in the spring! Jani & Ron San Marcos & Round Rock
    ...See More

WANTED: Austin/San Antonio Fall Swap 10/17/09

Q

Comments (8)
    Just a couple of weeks until the swap. Here is the usual info and map link. Here is the basic outline for our swap. The swap usually starts at 9am sharp and we usually do door prizes and a potluck lunch around noon. It's usually all over by 1:30 or 2 depending on weather and how many people come. As for what to bring, the options are wide open. Plants of course, either divisions of your perennials, or cuttings you started or seeds you collected and labeled. Sometimes people bring whole plants they decided they didn't like anymore or didn't have room for. Also, if making new plants is not your thing, you can bring gardening related items, books, terra cotta pots, tools, etc... People are generally very generous and eager to make newbies feel welcome so there are no hard and fast rules about what you can bring. Also, most gardeners just don't want to take any of their own stuff back home so they are often not expecting an "even trade". Please do not take an item from someone's area without asking. A good idea is to bring an extra box to put under your table for the plants you have swapped and are taking home. Items under the tables are off limits. Also, we do have a donation jar if you want to help with the pavilion rental fee. There is also a list of things you may find useful to bring: camp chair or stool card table (there are no tables provided at the Buda pavilion) extra plant labels and marker extra plastic pots - usually someone needs these plastic bags for transporting goodies plastic nursery trays for transporting goodies gardening item to donate for door prize (optional) Your favorite food or drink for the potluck. Drinking water rain jacket (for some reason our swap usually causes a shower! Here is a link that might be useful: Buda City Park
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall Swap

Q

Comments (13)
    Plantmaven wrote: "Will someone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Remind me to bring the great sigh that Jim made for us." Was that a great sigh of relief or anticipation??? (Sorry, I know it was a typo, but it struck me as funny :-)))
    ...See More

Fall San Antonio Plant Swap, Oct. 8

Q

Comments (154)
    Tonya, Karen and I were the last there, waiting for Meredith before we headed over to Ragna's. We walked around to make sure all trash was picked up and I spotted the willow peeking over the top of the trash can. I told Karen the awful secret you shared with me and knew we had to rescue it. Luckily it was a plant that Karen wanted.... you should have heard the lust in her voice..... so she took it home to give it life! :-) Thank you everyone who brought me goodies ! patty
    ...See More
  • texasfern
    14 years ago

That sure answers alot of questions for me! Thanks so much.
    I will arm myself with what I can and be ready!

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

I'll plan on being there. Have to see what I have left after the Inferno. I know I have some catnip, but it'll have to recover after being mauled by an armadillo.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

This info was a lot of help to me as I prepared for the swap last March. It was originally posted by Patty (castro gardener):

Hints, Etiquette, and Other Stuff

Hello All ! Just a few reminders that will help us all have a nicer swap experience. After 10 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others.
    When you arrive, please seek out the hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping !

We will have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

We welcome donations to help pay for the rental of the pavilion. Although it is voluntary, please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A few dollars in the jar will go far to help us rent this nice pavilion in the fall.

You may consider bringing cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

While swapping, please don't take plants off other's tables without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway.

Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special and rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping 10 years later !!

If you can't make the San Antonio swap, consider the swap just up the road in Buda in April. I'll be there, too.

patty

Note from Rock_oak_deer: The swap in Buda will be shortly after the one here in SA for those interested. I searched for the date, but couldn't find it. I'm sure someone will help out here.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

I think the date for the Fall Buda swap is 10-17-09.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Buda swap on Exchanges page

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

*bump back to the top*

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Did you hear about the proposed 30% county park fee hikes on the news today? Didn't they just raise them last year? I know it wouldn't affect this swap, but ouch!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think they did raise them. We should ask for ideas for another location for the spring.

Church parking lot?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Kathy, I will not be able to go to the swap, we have a 20 yr anniversery dinner that my husband will bar-b-q for in Rockport. I am suppost to help with the beans and potato salad, I do not think I can get out of it. Barbra

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Before Kathy started the swap at MacArthur Park, we had a few swaps in San Antonio at other locations. One, I can't for the life of me remember where it was.... the other was in the parking lot of a commercial building where one of the swappers worked. There was covered parking and it made a good location.

Does anyone work some place that we might be able to do this ? Is there a small park near you where we could have it ? Do you have a community center in your neighborhood ? I know we have a park here in Castroville where we could hold it....would anyone come here ? it's not a bad drive. I go to SA for every swap. I also drive to Buda, since that's where we started the swaps and I still have friends there. But I'm a horrible addict, so I'll go almost anywhere. :-)

Put on your thinking caps and let's find some other places that we might be able to use in a pinch. It's always possible that, even if we want to stay at MacArthur, we may not get a reservation in time.

patty

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Castroville would work, I would make that drive. There are some city parks around my area I can check.

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Patty, the other one was on the NW side at one of those private community parks. It was allowed because one of the swappers lived there...or maybe there were other community residents that attended also. If enough people wouldn't mind chipping in a little more, we could stay with MacArthur Park next year. Of course, the county leaders haven't voted on the hike yet. But the way it sounded on the news, it seemed like the commissioners were looking at it as a win-win solution to a serious budget crisis, along with a bunch of other fee hikes.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When you enter MacArthur park off loop 410, make an immediate right turn. The road is one-way. Follow it around to the back. Pav. #3 is behind the playground.

You will need a cart or wagon to transport your plants. We can't pull up to unload as we did at #1.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

There is a really nice park in Leon Valley, at the cornor of Poss, and Evers. When we were looking for a place to have it and decided on Mac Arthur park, I checked into it, but we got such a sweet deal on MacArthur park, due to the employee discount, I never followed up on it. I think it was free, unless we wanted to reserve the covered pavillion. Kathy, its just down the road from you, go check it out. I use to take my kids there to play, when they were small. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

I just went by the park, they had a pet clinic today, the name of the park is Raymond Rimkus Park, named after the first mayor of Leon Valley. I think it would be perfect for our plant swap. It has alot of large trees, to set tables under, plus nice bathrooms, and even a playground. Kathy you and I can do the merry go round. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

"bumpity bump"

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

I see the Bloomin Buds are also having a swap the day we are there. Maybe they're the ones who got the large pavilion, huh ? How can we differentiate ours from theirs so that the right people get where they're going ?

Any ideas ?

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Kathy,
    Looks like I may be able to make it to the swap. So, here's my list. I would very much like to put together pre-arranged trades so I know what to bring. Those who know me, know that I usually bring too much, and I'm trying not to do that. So, please help me out and if I have something you're interested in, let me know.

Email me directly please through My Page since I check email much more than I come to GardenWeb. If you list here, I might not get it in a timely manner.

I have a plant sale for a church bazaar the week before the swap, and I am taking the following plants. I am listing them here because I will bring home whatever is left over. If you're interested in something let me know. If I have enough, and if you offer something wonderful, I'll yank it from the plant sale.

aloe vera (of course)
    night-blooming cereus
    artillery fern
    dwarf artillery fern
    donkey ears
    callisia fragrans / Old Man's Pipe
    large elephant ears
    spider plants
    jewels of Opar
    Jingle Bells Kalanchoe
    purple fountain grass
    copper canyon daisy
    coral bean
    bulbine
    ruellia squarrosa
    asparagus fern
    chocolate plant
    ruby grass
    Below are other plants that I have in pots right now, but I am not limited to these. If you are looking for something in particular, let me know -- I may have it, but have not listed it here.

Cannas
    sanseveria - Mother-in-law's tongue
    Jade
    pointsettia
    cissus quadrangularis / Veldt grape
    crassula
    salvia coccinea
    pipevine
    clitoria vine
    dames rocket
    bilbergia
    red firecracker plant
    air potato vine / dioscorea bulbifera
    grass lily
    white rain lily
    large pink rain lily
    crinum bulbispermum
    salvia nermosa
    Pride of Barbados / orange
    pigeonberry
    bryophyllum crenatodaigremontianum (kalanchoe family)
    caesalpinia gilliesii

I also have a great pair of green rubber garden boots. Like new ! My feet are too wide and they hurt after wearing them awhile. About size 7-1/2.

Don't really know what I'm looking for. Always looking for something I don't have. Favorites are daylilies and irises. Also salvias. Let me know what you have. Remember to email me directly for the best results.

Thank you !!

patty

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I emailed my wants list!

k

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Patty - Sent you an email

-S

• nbtonya
    14 years ago

Hi everybody! Been swamped at work with lots of OT so have just now had a chance to pop in here. I plan on being there and will try to put up a list of plants in the next day or so. Patty, I'll be sending you an e-mail shortly. Kathy, do you have a list for us this time? I'm picturing your beautiful gardens! Sorry you can't make it Barbra, we'll miss you. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones!

Tonya

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Tonya - Kathy put her list on the exchange section. Use the link in her first post.

• nbtonya
    14 years ago

Thanks Rock Oak Deer. I meandered over there after I left here and found it. Left a message for you over there, too.

Tonya

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

There is a good chance I might get to go to the plant swap on the 10th. Gary said if I chopped up all the vegs., he would make everything for the dinner. I don't feel right about doing that to him. But, I am thinking about it.I sure do want to go and see everyone. Barbra

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great!

k

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

*bump*

See y'all there!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

I went to Rockport this weedend, but left a 8am Saturday because of all the mosquitos, I need to go back next week to see what plants I can take to the swap, I did get some tropicana canna, and some giant red left crinum, but was not able to even look at what other plants I could bring, there was just too many mosquitos. it was horrible. Barbra,

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Please go to the top.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Ill most likely be there on the 10th. Here are a few of the things I have to offer.

Gerbera daisies(orange, red, and pink type...others also)
    Dragonfruit cuttings
    Selenicereus antonyanus cuttings(aka ric rac cactus)
    White rain lily bulbs
    Dwarf cavendish banana plants(2 of them)
    desert willow seeds
    trichocereus pups(unknown color)
    worm castings
    worms
    more to come.....

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's great. It will be good to see you.

The more the merrier.

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

phoenix7801, could you reserve a dragonfruit cutting and some worm castings...please? See link below for thread with my list. And hope you can make it...you won't be sorry you went!

Here is a link that might be useful: sa swap thread

• dstartz
    14 years ago

phoenix7801,

I'd love some of your:

Gerbera daisies
    Dragonfruit
    Selenicereus antonyanus
    trichocereus

Is there anything on my trade list that you might be interested in?

dstartz/Donna

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

I will save some for yall. Donna...I'd love maybe firespike or the pink brug...Ill probably be bringing more stuff than above

• dstartz
    14 years ago

Thank you, phoenix7801!

dstartz/Donna

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

I will not be able to go to the swap, I have plants that I have gotten for the swap, if anyone wants to come by to get them. Just email me. and you can pick the up. I just cannot do that to my husband and have him do all the work for the anniversery dinner for his friends. I wish I could come to the swap. Kathy let me know I need to pick my vacation on Oct 19th at work for next year, and need to make sure I have that weekend off, so I can go to the April swap. Barbra

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Barbra, that's a shame...just be sure to come next spring! I was labeling plants and getting them together today. Seems like if you wait until Friday, it's a hassle!

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Hello Phoenix. I tried to email you directly, but you didn't have an email address on your Web page. I hope you see this. :-)

I'd like starts of your Selenicereus antonyanus and
    trichocereus if there's anything on my list you might be interested in. My list is above.

If you are looking for anything else, please let me know. I might have it, but not enough of it to add to list.

thank you !
    patty

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

I am posting more on the Exchanges thread for the SA swap.

patty

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Okie doke...As it turns out those banana plants werent exactly as rooted as I thought they were and when I cut them from mama banana...well they wont be at the swap..sorry bout that guys. But I got some new things to add...this is the revised list:

Gerbera daisies(orange, red, pink, yellow, and unknown) patty and donna
    Dragonfruit cuttings-patty and donna
    Selenicereus antonyanus(aka ric rac cactus) cuttings-donna,plant-patty
    Aporophyllum flagelliformis cuttings-rattail cactus
    White rain lily bulbs
    desert willow seeds
    trichocereus pups-donna
    trichocereus-patty
    worm castings
    worms
    zexmenia transplants
    Moy Grande hibiscus seeds(Im not sure if grow true to type...anyone wanna experiment?)
    Passiflora foetida seeds
    striped crinum bulb
    unknown crinum bulb
    anyone want the common trumpet creeper? I got a whole bunch of it
    Also I got some more cactus and succulent soil. I know I swapped it last year with someone but not sure if yall actually liked it?

Patty...Id love some mexican flame vine, bulbispermum crinum or soap aloe.

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Phoenix -- I've got the Mex flame vine, bulb. crinum, and soap aloe with your name on it.

You have a couple of things with my name on it, that should be for someone else: the gerberas and dragonfruit. I believe there were others who asked for those.

I had the trichocereus and selenicereus.

I would like to try your cactus/succulent soil though ! I have a lot I can plant in this type of soil.

thanks, Phoenix !

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

you are right...tricho and ric rac to you!

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

Hi, Phoenix! I wanted a Dragonfruit cutting and some worm castings, if that's okay? Hope I have something you might want.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Yeah linda I have some for you. Im plum forgetting who's getting what and what have you. Any chance you have any passionvines or turks cap left???

• dstartz
    14 years ago

phoenix7801, If Linda doesn't have any more Turk's Caps, I do. Let me know before dark & I'll dig one up for you.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Id love some though dont catch pneumonia on my account if it gets to be late

• dstartz
    14 years ago

Not a problem! (I hope you don't mind that it's now bare rooted.)

Y'all remember the TV show 'Laugh In'? Remember the guy who rode the tricycle and would fall over? I was out in the yard digging up the Turk's Cap and was in a bit of a bind, space wise, so I was going at it at an angle. When the roots gave way on the plant I wound up on my side in the grass.

When I went in the kitchen to wash my hands my husband was sweet enough to dig the leaves out my waist band.

Been a while since I was that close to the soil! ;->

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

I so still have a Turk's Cap...and a Maypop...if that is what you want! Thanks.