SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pripyat

Tree Swallows visiting active Bluebird Nest

pripyat
15 years ago

This is my very first posting. Forgive me if it's a bit long and winded. I've been hosting bluebirds in my backyard for many years, but this season I've ran into a first. For the past three mornings, I've had a pair of tree swallows showing up and making visits to my bluebird box. One of the swallows flies around the box and hovers near the entrance while the other perches nearby. The bluebirds have four, 13-day-old chicks inside. [The box is protected by a sparrow spooker above and a conical predator baffle below.] I've not seen any aggressive interaction between the bluebirds and swallows at all. When the swallows come near, the bluebirds make no atempt to chase them off. However, I am away at work for most of the day so that's not to say there hasn't been some quarreling.

Anyway, the swallows seem set on the occupied bluebird box. Before they arrived, I already had another nest box set up on my property. It is currently vacant, but they've shown no interest in it. I would love to have the swallows in addition to my bluebirds. Is there anything I can do to make the vacant box more attractive to them? Any help, thoughts, or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus