SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guiness_gw

First Brood Out, Sparrows In

guiness
14 years ago

Greetings,

Yesterday I came home to find that the baby blue birds were no longer in the nestbox and the mom and pop bb were hanging out along a nearby fence but not entering the nest box. At first I thought there might have been a predator since there was no sign of the babies, but after some research, I think they fledged since the nest was flat and there was no sign of any intrusion. So I cleaned out the nestbox and removed the sparrow spooker. At the same time, I removed a sparrow's nest from a nestbox at the front of the house. I was waiting for the young bb to leave the bb box in the backyard before evicting the sparrows from the front so as not to cause the sparrows to seek retribution on the bb nestbox. Well, now they're are trying to set up residence the newly cleaned out blue bird box in the back. The mom and pop bb appear to be hanging out, cautiously watching the nestbox but the sparrows seem to have taken over. I've cleared out the beginnings of several sparrow nests but they keep coming back. I now have left the front door completely open until I can figure out what to do. The blue birds seem eager to start a second family but are wisely not going into the nestbox with the sparrows present. So what should I do next? I don't have a trap but am thnking of buying one. I don't relish the thought of trapping the sparrows and euthanizing them. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (14)