SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyn_s

New egg or old unhatched one?

cyn_s
11 years ago

Help! This is my first nest box and bluebirds, so I'm learning. I was out of town when the eggs hatched; but I know it was 4/26, 27 or 28. The box is in a place that's hard to see, so other than checking the nest periodically thruout the process I don't know about the comings and goings.

The nest cup is very deep,and even w/ a dental mirror I was never able to confirm that all 4 eggs hatched. I last checked the nest on 5/9 and all looked fine, altho I couldn't tell how many chicks there were. I don't have any fledging info b/c of the difficulty in monitoring and my fear of causing a problem if I went near the box.

I've wanted to make sure to clean out the nest asap after fledging, and I figured today was the last possible date, and I just saw a bb gathering something in her mouth (nest bldg. material or food?), so I checked. I can't tell whether there is any new nesting material, but there is one egg deep in the nest.

So here's my dilemma: is it an old egg that never hatched, and I should quickly clean out the nest? Or has she already started another and I should leave it alone? I saw a couple of ants, and I'd really like to clean it.

Thanx to anyone who can advise!

Comments (14)