SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doublej_gw

Order placed. Wish me luck!!

doublej
15 years ago

OK. I've placed my order at TGS. I live in Western Washington, as I've described before. I have selected and ordered the following:

Stupice

Cherokee Purple

Rutgers

Kellogg's Breakfast

Stump of the World

Mortgage Lifter

I have the rope handled 18 gallon buckets from Home Depot that I plan on making into self watering containers.

I have a 50' roll of CRW to make cages.

I have multiple florescent grow lights and room enough to set up a 75 degree, well lit area to start them.

I will start them in a seed tray.

When they are large enough, I will transplant them into 4" pots, burring most of the stem to establish new roots.

When those get large enough, I will transplant them into 1gl pots and again, bury most of the stem.

When THOSE get big enough, into the 18gl buckets they go. I will plant them in just enough soil to cover the crown and as they grow, I will continually add soil,covering more and more of the stem as it grows until it reaches the top of the bucket.

Then, slowly outside to harden off until they are ready to be out full time.

Since it doesn't get hot for long around here, I have the means and room to start the seeds the first week of January with the goal of having them outside full time the first week of April. With what I have described above, Is this timing correct?

Have I forgotten anything? This will be my first year of semi serious tomato growing and I want to do it the best I can on the budget I have.

Thanks for your help and any input you can offer.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21