SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

My 2nd Bag & Sphag - Wish Me Luck!

jodik_gw
15 years ago

A while ago, I received a Coelogyne backbulb, which I immediately bagged, wrapped in a little sphagnum moss... it hasn't been long enough for roots to form yet, but everything looks good so far...

Recently, a friend sent me a Dendrobium keiki from an unnamed mother plant... the purple flowers are lovely in photos... and I placed it in a small plastic pot with some orchid bark, and found a spot in my home that I thought it would like.

I've been watering it as it needs, and it seemed fine... until I noticed last night, that both of its leaves had begun to yellow... not a good sign! I immediately took it out of its pot, and found that the majority of its roots were hollow and obviously dead! No rot on anything, just dead roots.

There is one tiny thin root, about an inch long, and a second living piece of something that I assume to be a root nub, growing very close to the bottom of the stem, right up against it. I soaked some sphag, clipped off the dead roots with clean surgical scissors, dusted the root area with rooting hormone powder, and bagged the little guy. I've got it set on a shelf next to the Coelogyne baggie, and am hopeful that it has a strong will to live.

This is my second "bag & sphag"... wish me luck! I hope I did everything correctly, and I hope these two orchids are strong-willed and have a desire to put forth new growth! I realize how not exciting this is for the veteran growers here, but I wanted to share it so those new to growing and collecting, like me, can see that until there's absolutely no life left in an orchid, there's always hope.

I'll try to get a few photos to add...

Comments (18)