SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbychickenmom

Blue Sky Vine

13 years ago

Does anyone in the DFW area grow blue sky vine (thunbergia grandiflora)sometimes known as Bengal Clock vine? I have asked questions on the vine forum, but didn't get much response and am still having trouble getting any blooms. I bought this plant off the internet in the fall of 2008 after seeing it blooming beautifully in Pensacola. My thought was that the heat there would be about comparable to what we have. I got two small sprouted plants which I put into pots which went into my garage for the winter. We have florescent shop lights over my plant shelves in there and the blue sky vines began blooming during the winter!! I was so excited and moved the pots outside in the spring. They stopped blooming and grew lots more leaves and long vines. They didn't bloom last summer until right before frost and then I had to move them back to the garage. Since they were much bigger, the move was hard on them (and on me). They survived the winter in the garage under lights again and had some blooms when I moved them outside this spring. Again, they stopped blooming and I haven't had blooms all summer!! I fertilize them with blooming plant stuff, but in the garage I only give them water and no fertilizer at all, so I don't think that is the problem. I keep them moist and they get good light, but not direct sunlight in the afternoon. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. If they didn't bloom in the garage during the winter I wouldn't be so confused and stumped about what to do!! Any ideas would be appreciated. The blooms are absolutely beautiful---I just love blue flowers and these are big with lovely throats of cream and nice leaves. Any ideas???!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions