SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesman_gw

Got 5 Now!! But My Dad??

bluesman
14 years ago

Hello all,

The other day it hit 71 degrees here and dang it felt great!! I was outside after work with shorts on and flip flops. No shirt and had a ball grilling a couple of steaks for my wife and I on the patio while we watched my now 5 martins and guess what..Still no female. They are buddies now but when that first female shows up that will all change grin..Pretty adult ASY women and pretty adult ASY female martins tend to do that to us guys and the male martins are no different. I think they seemed jealous of me yesterday because I had my pretty ASY Female out there with me and they all had to be alone big grin..

Anyway I now have 5 males out there but get this..My dear ol' Dad is kicking my butt!! Mr. "Martin Hog" Vincent Brown has 8 martins and three of them are female. I stopped by yesterday after work and there they were and of course he is rubbing it in smile..Well even though he is my Dad I had to say.."That's alright Dad..In about another two weeks that will all change in a hurry." I then slapped him across the back and we both smiled and I could feel the love between us." I am so proud that my Father loves his martin colony so much. The colony that I started at 11 years old with my Grandpa's help is now his pride and joy. Back then he was working all the time it seemed and I took care of it but after I got married and moved away my Father not only kept it up but he expanded it and now he is the "Martin Man" of his hometown and he loves it. He spreads the gospel of the Purple Martin around all the time and being retired he has the time to do it. I can't tell you folks how many BB Boxes he has built and just given away to folks who would love them and care for them and keep the House Sparrows out of them.

It is a wonderful thing to share the pleasure of hosting Purple Martins with your Dad,Mom,Brother,Sister,whatever..and again I thank my Grandpa so much for passing his knowledge of this wonderful bird down to me. It still links us all today in so many ways and now Me,My Dad,my brother Mark,and my brother Marty are all "Martin Men." We all share the joy and pleasure of having the majestic purple martins grace our homes all summer with their glorious presence. That is worth more than all the money in the world...but dang it..I hope I get some females soon and get one up on the old man big happy smile....Mike

Comment