SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eadebeaux

Bluebird Protection/Egg Laying

EADeBeaux
10 years ago

Hello! I am new to the forum. I have a pair of Eastern Bluebirds nesting in my birdhouse. This morning, I noticed a House Sparrow fly up to the birdhouse and enter. The male Bluebird was in a nearby tree, and immediately chased him out and away. Neither of the Bluebirds have been harmed. I haven't seen any other sparrows attempt to go up to the birdhouse since, thankfully. I immediately started researching on ways to deter these House Sparrows, and I ordered a Sparrow Spooker. It should arrive within 1-3 days. However, I read that you should not install the Sparrow Spooker until the first egg is laid, as the sparrows may become used to seeing the spooker and it won't deter them. So my question is, when will the female begin laying her eggs? The Bluebirds started scoping out the birdhouse about 4 weeks ago, and I am assuming they built their nest over the past week, while I was working out of state, because I looked inside of the birdhouse after the sparrow had went in, and I see a nest that appears to be complete, however I did not see any eggs. I live in Central Missouri if that makes a difference on when she will lay her eggs. In the meantime, any suggestions for further deterring any sparrows until the spooker arrives? Also, I got busy pruning trees, cutting down ivy, and removing any other plants that the sparrows may be attracted to for rest or nesting. Thank you so much for your time and help! I would literally grieve if anything happened to these Bluebirds.

Comments (7)