SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Lesson learned - ALWAYS use a Spooker!

ohsoblue77
12 years ago

I had my doubts that with swallows and bluebirds paired nesting next to each other that any problems would occur.

If you followed my last post, you know I had 1 egg that 2 days later was missing from the nest.

I have ruled the Swallows OUT of the equation for now. When I arrived home today I heard that notorious chirp in the direction of the bluebirds' box. HOSP!

There is a male HOSP hanging around in the trees behind these two boxes, chirping away. He landed close to the box, and one of the bluebirds came in to attack. He had a mate and circled the boxes. The male and female then landed on each box, standing their ground.

This just goes to show that even though you have the aid of another beneficial species in a paired box, that doesn't mean you are 100% protected from HOSP.

Although I didn't have all the evidence, today's events seemed to prove that HOSP were indeed the suspect. I would advise anyone with any doubts - get that Spooker UP!!! I'm now nervous that I won't be able to get the spooker up in time after the next egg to prevent destruction again by the HOSP. But my Van Ert is by my side waiting, in case the HOSP try and take over the box. If that happens, they're GOOD AS DEAD!!!

The TRES aren't around because it's only 42 degrees, cloudy, and misting. But SOMEHOW, the Blues are toughing out this short cold spell to defend their box. Tomorrow things start heading toward normal - 50 and sunny. 70 by the weekend. Usually the TRES annoy me with their antics and calls, but I wan't them back soon! Would love to see how this HOSP pair fairs against FOUR ADULT BIRDS!! (or more if a TRES MOB shows up!) hehehehe! I'm half tempted to pull the crappy BB gun out and try to nail this HOSP! I'd like some REVENGE!

~Tim. N.E. Ohio

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES