SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

What native plants to put in this corner?

cjra
14 years ago

I'll x-post this to the design forum, but as I'd like to focus on all-native or at least drought tolerant plants, thought I'd ask here as well.

This is a tricky corner. It faces southwest, and due to a very large cedar elm and a few pecan trees located to the east of it, it is mostly shaded until later afternoon, then it gets blazing sun. In front of the two trees and sort of east of the trees/near the street, it stays shaded, but behind and to the other side, it has blazing sun late in the day only.

{{gwi:27238}}

Eventually either the palm or the other tree (no idea what it is) will come out, for now they are co-existing with a bit of pruning. It'll be a few years before either gets removed though - which will likely change the sun level there, but I'll worry about that then. (The husband would have me leave it an overgrown jungle if I let him, I managed to convince him we could trim the tree back to let the palm grow....but not take it out. Yet.)

So I'm looking for what plants could go into this area - behind the tree in the SW corner, in front of the tree, to the side given the afternoon sun in some areas vs. limited sun in others... The grass is still fairly new and I haven't put an edge or shaped it yet, that will come in good time.

Oh - no vines. My neighbor has lots of plants crawling up the other side of the fence which do a decent job of covering the fence (this pic was taken in March, before much growth). I don't want to create more shade over her plants. On the street side of the fence is a carolina jasmine, salvia, pride of barbados, plumbago, and an opportunistic retama tree that's still young. A little further east (to the far left outside the picture frame) is a passion vine doing nicely.

I do have a list of Texas natives, just not sure what will do well in late-day full sun but morning shade.

Comments (14)