SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyfox

Nursing Some Annuals Back from Death

mommyfox
15 years ago

Ok, so most of the annuals I planted this spring are looking awful. I was wondering which I should baby, to get a late summer/fall flush before the frost, and which I should just pull up and have done with it.

I have petunias in a morning shade/afternoon sun bed. They're a good variety from Calloway's in a heavily amended, well-draining soil alongside mums. Some of them are still blooming occasionally but their foliage is toast. Worth pampering?

I have a double white impatiens that I would really like to flourish. It still has green stems but no foliage or blooms anymore. It was in a container. I have moved it inside for the time being in a container on its own. Will it come back? Would it survive if I kept it inside over the winter and put it back out next spring, or should I accept that it really is an annual?

My begonias are looking really ragged from the heat. They're the green waxleaf variety. Any hope for a fall show?

And one last question. I've planted plenty of sweet alyssum, violas and pansies in the past. I may try snapdragons and nasturtiums this year. Any other suggestions for fall or winter blooming bedding plants to try out? Little low growing perennials would be even better! Thanks so much!

Comments (7)