SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wenderina_gw

tomato nursed from the brink growing with basil

wenderina
15 years ago

hey guys-

so I transplanted all my tomato starts about six weeks ago and they're doing nicely, but at that time, I also found an old, smallish pot, forgotten in the back, where a tiny volunteer was struggling to grow. I didn't have the heart to get rid of it, but also didn't have room in my raised beds or bigger pots to transplant it if it took off, so I threw a bit more planting mix/compost in it and some seaweed/fish liquid fertilizer, a couple of basil seeds, and kind of let them be. today I finally went to that corner and the tomato is two feet tall and getting really strong, and I have a couple of nice little basil plants growing in there too. I can tell that the tomato can use more soil and fertilizer, so my question is, if I mound up a bit more soil in the pot the way tomatoes like it anyway, will that damage the basil? they're all pretty happy and I don't want to move stress any of the plants, but I can tell the tomato will be needing more than what it's got...what to do? thanks in advance!

Comment (1)