SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

Fall swap in San Antonio

natvtxn
15 years ago

Date: Saturday, October 25, 2008

Time: 9:00 until......

Place: MacArthur Park on Loop 410 in San Antonio.

This swap we will do a sack lunch in place of the usual covered dish lunch.

Pavillion #1 has about 10 large tables and benches. Again this time will be a sack lunch. Hmmm... I guess a dessert or two would be yummy.

The main theme for the SA Swaps, I guess, is...

enjoy the company of other gardeners, keep things loose, & have fun.

We all bring our extra plants, plus any garden-related "stuff" like garden magazines, iron fence pieces, baskets, buckets, pots, manure,etc.

Pre-trades are good, since you know you'll be getting something you want, & you know your stuff is getting a new home.

You can swap anything for anything, no "rules" about seed-for-seed, plant-for-plant, etc;

as long as the gardeners agree, there you go.

You can swap a Ferrari for a package of tomato seeds if you want (or a cow for a package of magic beans)!

Just post what you have & what you want, & people can reply with offers;

once both gardeners agree, you in bidness!

Put your pre-trades for each person in a box with that person's name on it & jot down on the label or box what you are to get from that person.

If you have room in your vehicle, it's good to bring a cart or little red wagon.

Loose comfy clothing, comfy shoes, a hat, maybe a sweater, water, hand lotion or sun block, newspapers for packing, Sharpies, notebook, camera, labels, etc are all good things to have on hand "just in case".

Even if you don't have much extra garden material yet, cookies & brownies go over very well, & don't worry about even-steven trades:

many of us have been doing this for several years, & we *always* have tons of plants that we'll trade for a token or even "free to good home".

(Even if you've only decided to start a garden on Friday night, by Saturday afternoon, you can start working on your garden!)

We also bring fun stuff for "door" prize drawings;

I have been buying things, but anyone can bring something for a drawing.

Comments (59)

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Oh...some things are multiplying like bunnies and I would just like to thin out things. Might have SOME things I don't need any trade for. Anyone want some native passionflower, Maypop/P. Incarnata? Or Incense passionflower? I need to dig some up. And if anyone has magazines in good condition that they'd like to be rid of, I take magazines to the VA hospital from time to time, so they'll go to a good cause.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap: Saturday October 13, 2012

Q

Comments (143)
    we have rocks, they are just ground up really tiny and called sand LOL! Rocks and cupcakes, now those are trades! Jim is as excited as I am about the rocks. Forgot Lisa on my list! How did that happen? Ya`ll weren`t gonna tell me either, they are my cupcakes, mine! all mine! I`ll share. Lisa: cupcakes FOR: whatever you want!, take it all! What can I dig up out of the yard for you? Tally HO!
    ...See More

HAVE: Fall Plant Swap- Austin/San Antonio Oct 18

Q

Comments (21)
    As always, it's great to see everyone and meet new people. Thanks to Margie for having us. Thanks to everyone who donated toward the door prizes which were received with glee ! And last but not least, thank you Charlotte for doing what you do. Thanks also to Curt !! A sweetie of the best kind ! I don't always have negative things to say, and when I do, I don't always verbalize them. However, I want to mention something that really bothered me. When I got home, I noticed that some plants were gone, which I didn't remember anyone asking for. Meaning: people took plants off the table without asking for them. Now, most of you know me and you know that I will give you anything I have. All I've ever wanted was to be asked first. I even have a sign on my table saying to find me if you're interested in something. I might be on the other side of the room telling someone I have a _______ plant for them, and then get to my table and find it gone. Or, as in the case yesterday, I brought a pot of rain lily bulbs. They weren't potted. They were loose, so that people could take a few bulbs and leave some for others. Someone must have taken the whole container. Which would have been fine, if no one else had wanted any, but I also wanted to keep the pot I had them in. I'm short on pots right now and wanted to hold onto whatever I could. But the person did not ask. If they had, I could have told them I wanted to keep the pot. This is a plant SWAP.... not a plant TAKE. I do not always need a plant in return. Often, I may already have what someone else is offering. There were some people I did not receive a plant from yesterday, and that's fine with me. But if you want something of mine, please, pretty please, all you have to do is ask. As a courtesy to everyone who attends these swaps, please take the time to find the person who owns the plants, and ask them if you can have the plant you crave, and offer something from your own table. After all, that's one reason we wear name tags. Patty
    ...See More

Fall San Antonio Plant Swap Date October 12, 2013

Q

Comments (2)
    About eight weeks out I'll set up a thread for exchanges so everyone can check in and discuss the swap. There are very few rules because the trades take place person to person. Otherwise we post a few basic reminders at swap time.
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall Swap - Time to set the date!

Q

Comments (9)
    I decided that I would get there earlier than what I posted, and thank goodness I did. In October, no one even came to play at the park the entire day, but being spring, I did not want to take a chance. I am not able to commit yet, since October is my husbands month that he fishes at the coast with his high school buddies. I am not sure what weekend they will be there. They should know what weekend they are coming by September, so I can make plans then. Barbra
    ...See More
  • michellesg
    15 years ago

I'd love some passionflower Linda!
    ~Michelle

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Okay. Would you like one of each? They are both cold-hardy, so I grow them outdoors, but they DO spread out there.

• michellesg
    15 years ago

Both if you have enough, I've only seen the incense locally but I think both are lovely!

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

In addition to my regular "wants" I'd love to have some more pots. I'm growing en masse and I find that I'm running out of my stash quite quickly ! Smaller 4"-6" up to gallon size would be best for me.

I'll try later to list plants that I'm bringing, or one-of-a-kinds that someone may want for a pre-arranged trade.

Kathy, I also have a few new items for door prizes.

I hope everyone will keep in their prayers our friends on the coast who are going to have a really, really bad weekend.

patty

• michellesg
    15 years ago

Patty I'm going to try and bring those 2 roses for you too if I can dig them up. 1 Rio Samba and a Queen Elizabeth. I'm going to have to cut down the QE a bit to bring her though, she's a bit tall to move right now. The RS just finished a 20 bloom blush so it's just been cut back and will probably be timed just right for a move end of October. I'll see how many pots I have and bring them for you too.
    ~Michelle

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK Y'all, only 27 days until the swap.

A neighbor just came down to introduce herself. Another neighbor told her about the swap. They both are sooooooo excited.

See you there!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought today was the 28th. Those things happen when you get old.....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Hey everybody! I think the organizers need a roll call of sorts to let us know how many are planning to make the swap on Sat. Oct. 25th at McArthur Park, San Antonio to say what you are bringing and perhaps make some pre-trades!

Unfortunately :-( I won't be able to make this one, but will have lots of stuff and be 'raring-to-go' to the Spring Swap.

• marcie_new
    15 years ago

Hi anyone out there with double white daturas or seeds for that plant? I would love to have some I can trade some seeds of dble yellow or dble purple datura I will have some cacti related plant it sort of a colachoe? plant or some kind of alligator plant the leaves get a little wide and it puts out babies at the end of the leaf the plant is spoted also another plant similar but not same this is green and puts a lot babies on the out side of the leaf and of course the alligator plant or mother of a 1000

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think Barbra, aka Honneybunny, has some.

I hope we will meet you at the swap.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Just checking in...I still plan on being there and Sheila is coming also. Let's see, I might be able to bring a couple Lindheimer's Sennas. I have one Redbird Cactus plant I can't keep. If anybody wants some of those Purple Jew plants, I have those. Tahitian Bridal Veil, Woolly Ironweed, Lindheimer's Morning Glory, Purple Leatherflower Vine (Clematis pitcheri), Pride of Barbados, one Elderberry, one little Anacacho Orchid Tree, etc.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Just checking in...I still plan on being there and Sheila is coming also. Let's see, I might be able to bring a couple Lindheimer's Sennas. I have one Redbird Cactus plant I can't keep. If anybody wants some of those Purple Jew plants, I have those. Tahitian Bridal Veil, Woolly Ironweed, Lindheimer's Morning Glory, Purple Leatherflower Vine (Clematis pitcheri), Pride of Barbados, one Elderberry, one little Anacacho Orchid Tree, etc.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, put me down for a purple leatherflower vine.
    I am glad Sheila will be there. I enjoy her.
    I will be bringing cuttings of plumerias.
    two that are pinwheels.
    two yellow brugs.
    One chocolate mint plant.

I'm not bringing much. I am goingoing more for the visitin'.

See ya.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Kathy, put me down for one of the pinwheel plumeria plants or cuttings whatever they are. I am bring jatrophas, the purple leaf ones, and coral devil tears, candlestick plants, and yellow mexican bird of paradise, and white, yellow and purple datura, I mixed up the yellow and white, so I do not know which is which. I can bring cuttings from peach, pink, or dark yellow noid brugmansia plants, email me if you want me to bring any, they are easy to root, I will get them next week when we go down. I will also bring back some perenials and other plants for the swap. Email me if I have something that you want, I can get stuff out of the yard, when we go down next week, and bring it to the swap. I was painting the house down there, and fell off the ladder, so I am mending, but should be ok by the time we have the swap. Barbra,

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am planning to take plants to Baytown for hurricane Ike gardeners. If any one wants to bring a few xtra plants to donate, I will be happy to take those also.

Kathy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Kathy, I emailed Tally awhile ago, and she has not responded. I wanted to know if she wanted plants now or later. It may be while before she can plant, if salty water, was in her yard. I have plants to send to her, I will send them with you. When are you going?
    I went out today, to water my plants for the swap, and something got ahold of my white and yellow datura plants. The leaves look like lace, I removed all the leaves and sprayed them with liquid seaweed. Hope they have leaves by next week. I moved them, out of the shade, into the sun, with the other plants. I wonder what did that? They looked great last weekend. Barbra,

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be going Nov. 7. Some time before then I'll come by and pick up what ever you want to send.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump

And a note to remind you to pack your this time.

• dolphin_79605
    15 years ago

Traveling to San Antonio to run the November 16th marathon. Wondering if there are any plant swaps that weekend or places where an out of towner might wish to visit. Thanks in advance, Mick -- Abilene

PS: I'd also like to grab a great plate of clams over pasta afterwards. Any direction or review appreciated.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! when I corrected my spelling, it deleted the word lunch.

Mick, we have beautiful botanical gardens. The San Antonio Botanical Gardens are on Funston St.
    If you like antique roses and natives, Antique Rose Emporium is on Evans Rd.

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

just a note to let our swappers know that we are not the Bloomin Buds Club which is having a swap on the 18th, the week before we're having our swap. Some of them did attend our last swap, but we are not them.

We are the plant swap established through GardenWeb which has been going on for a few years. Those of you who have been coming to our swaps know many of us by name, and by GardenWeb name, but the newbies out there might not know the difference.

We do not ask you to "pay" for plants by giving out tickets for the plants that you bring. We all make our trades by agreement. Many times, some of us give our plants to new gardeners who have nothing to share yet. We encourage these people to attend also.

Those who do not have plants to share may be able to bring pots or other garden-related items, such as hoses, tools, outdoor decorations, or even a new item to donate for our door prizes.

This time we are doing something a little different about lunch. We are not having a shared potluck this time, so please make sure to pack a lunch and a drink, since we will probably take a break at some point to eat and enjoy each others' company.

By the way... I am looking for candlestick plants (among other things), if anyone has some. I have already contacted Barbra, but is she has already promised them to others, I'm putting out feelers. I need two of them, please.

I just got back from new mexico, so do not yet have a list of what I can bring, but hope to have something for everyone to make some great trades. If you haven't already done so, please add your HAVES and WANTS here.

If you are new to plant swaps, and haven't yet decided if it's something you'd like to do, please let me encourage you to come. If you don't think you have something worthy to swap, you're probably underestimating what you have. What you feel is a common plant may be just what someone else is looking for. This is why it's a good idea to post here, so you can let others know what you have, and make a pre-arranged trade. If you just aren't sure, come anyway and see how it works. These swaps are addictive ! Where else can you get free plants ?! And you'll meet some of the greatest people in the world here !

Looking forward to seeing everyone in about 10 days !!

Patty

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Did a quick inventory. Here's what I'm thinking of bringing so far. Many of these are limited, so if you're interested let me know. Some I may not bring if I don't get a pre-arranged trade, just because they are larger plants.

ficus
    mimosa
    copper canyon daisy
    night blooming jasmine
    night blooming cereus
    different kalanchoes
    young sanseveria
    vick's plant (plectranthus)
    Jade
    Brugmansia
    artillery fern
    angelwing begonia
    confederate rose
    yellow Texas Price of Barbados
    Texas dogwood
    asparagus fern
    elephant ears
    old mans pipe
    african hosta
    castor bean
    sedums
    passion vine
    spider plants
    cissus quadrangularis
    plectranthus cuban oregano
    moses in boat
    yellow flag iris
    bilbergia
    rose cecile brunner
    salvia microphylla
    coral bean
    trumpet vine

patty

• jettylady
    15 years ago

Hi all I am a sort of new gardener and would love to come to your swap. I have a few things that i can trade..so do i need to make a reservation, price of admission???this sounds like it will be a very neat deal i am looking forward to it
    maryann

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MaryAnn,

Come on down!
    Bring yourself and a sack lunch to the park, No reservation or charge. If you have plants to trade, great. If you don't have plants, great too.

We are looking forward to seeing you there.

• harrellpn
    15 years ago

Hello, I am a fairly new Gardner as well, someone mentioned they needed more pots, do you mean the plastic ones that you get when you buy a plant from Lowes or a nursery? I can bring some of those as well. I have Gingers and cast iron if anyone has an interest in them. Oh and Dwarf and Regular Umbrella Palm (Invasive you have to control them) and Peacock Ginger, Hope I can make it! Pam

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am sure they meant plastic left over pots. I certainly hope you can make it.

• red_geranium
    15 years ago

Castro_gardener, I would really appreciate some of the night-blooming jasmine! Don't know yet what I might potup for exchange.

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Grrrrrr, too busy of a calendar for this month and I won't be able to make it :(

Please, whoever posted the pic of the purple pea vine. I really, really want some seed and will gladly send a SASE.

Gals, whoever gave me the perenial Morning Glory vine, it is GORGEOUS! Covered in blooms and has been now for about 2 months or so. I had great success with all but one of the Spring plants and hope the iris will bloom this coming spring. The plants look good.

You gals have a wonderful time. In the Spring I hope to bring a couple young orchid plants, Blc Petite Stars, that I potted up special for the Fall swap. They'll be even larger plants by time of the Spring swap (provided I don't kill them LOL).

Sheila, from out in Gillett Country.

• cestbellevie
    15 years ago

JUST A SHOUT OUT TO KATHY TO HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY!!!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, M.

I went to dinner with one son and daughter-in-law. My youngest son is the chef. Our table had a sign that it was reserved for Dan's mom. When my plate arrived it had a small pink rose as the garnish. The blues musician sang HB to me.
    I had a very nice time.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Chiming in with a great big --

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY!

And what a thoughtful touch your son, Dan, added for the gardener of you!

• tect_one
    15 years ago

Anyone willing to trade for: purple or white hyacinth bean vine seeds, dwarf variegated agave babies,tiny ponytail palm seedlings? Or, you are welcome to "shop my yard" for something I might have that you like.

Would love to have pride of barbados, ginger (all kinds/colors), cast iron, any hostas.

For castro gardener - any on the list I mailed when you sent me this link. I have been on this site for a while, just hadn't checked in recently :-( Glad you reminded me!!

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi ! I was going to email you directly, but you didn't have an email listed on your "My Page."

You live in Austin ? You should have come to the swap yesterday in Buda ! Sorry you missed it -- it would have been so much closer for you. But we'll be happy to have you next Saturday if you can make it.

I don't know if I have a jasmine left to bring. I swapped yesterday in Buda and not sure yet what I have left.

Can you give me a rundown on what you might have to swap ? Always interested in hearing what others are bringing. See you Saturday !

patty

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone ! I wanted to take a moment and get up on my soap box and say a few words about courtesy at these swaps. It may also help the new people who really don't know how it all works.

I went to a swap yesterday, and even though I've encountered this before, it just seemed to hit me differently yesterday. Please, please, PLEASE, don't take a plant off someone's table without asking first.

Those of you who know me, know that I'll give you anything I have. But it's always nice to be asked. I don't even need a trade, most of the time. Sometimes, people bring what I already have, but that doesn't keep me from giving them what they want on my table. I only want to be asked first.

Yesterday, I even had a sign on my table asking to be located if a plant interested someone. But when I got home, I noticed that plants were gone which had not been asked for. I had a pot of bulbs to give away, and wanted to keep the pot. But someone took the whole shebang. If they had asked, I could have told them that I wanted the pot. I'm short on pots and I wanted to keep what I could.

We wear name tags so that anyone can be found easily. Heck, I've even shouted out loud to find someone ! It would be nice if everyone had their name on their table, too, but I doubt that will happen. I try to do it because I've learned from over 10 years of swaps that it makes it easier on others who are new to this.

This is my pet peeve, and I know it might irk others for me to bring it up, but it's a plant SWAP, not a plant TAKE. Asking for a plant you crave is a good way to start a conversation with a new friend. We always hope that these swaps aren't just about getting free plants, but propagating new relationships with other humans. I've made absolutely wonderful friends at these events and I go to the swaps now to see them, not necessarily for the plants, which are just really cool bonuses !

So, please remember what our moms taught us.... don't take without asking. And it's always nice to offer something from your table, or explain that you're a new gardener with nothing to trade. Although some people may want a plant in trade, there are others who will load up your car with plants, and ask nothing in return.

thank you for listening, or reading, as the case may be.

Patty

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Sheila, I sent you an email through 'Your Page' several days ago and haven't heard back. Maybe it's in your spam folder. Or you can just email me through 'My Page.' I'm the one who posted pictures of the blue pea vine some time back.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Patty, I never promised my Candlestick plants to anyone but you. If someone is telling you something diffrent, then don't believe them. You are the only one that has emailed me, and as in my email. I am saving them for you. Barbra,

• tect_one
    15 years ago

I would really love to trade for two Pride of Barbasdos (my neighbor loves them too) plants. If anyone has them to trade...what would you like to trade for?

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi everybody! I'm a newbie to plant swaps and am really looking forward to Saturday! Thanks Linda, for directing me to this link. I have several plants already potted up and ready to go:

Salvia Coccinea (red blooms)
    aloe vera
    mother of 1000s
    short mexican petunia
    asparagus fern
    spider plants (varigated and plain)

I can also dig up some other stuff if anyone is interested:
    Tall mexican petunia
    spearmint
    peppermint
    Baby sunrose heartleaf iceplant (hot pink blooms)
    jewels of opar
    plumbago

I would be interested in any type of ginger, some of those plumeria cuttings, a peach or pink brugmansia cutting (or both!). Never have tried any of those and they are all so pretty. Some of the datura plants sound nice, too.

Can't wait to meet all of you!

Tonya

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tonya~ Ok, I have you down for yellow brug cuttings and a couple of the plumerias. You asked for pink, but you will like the yellow.

Kathy

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Thanks Kathy! If you see something on my list you want me to set aside for you, let me know!

Tonya

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

I'm kind of a lurker here, trying to learn how not to "kill" something.

Can I bring two sick Bougainvillea's that I want to pass on to a better home?

I'd love to come, just for the education.

Gayle

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gayle, please do come. And bring you bougainvilla. Maybe someone can tell what "ails" it.
    Do you mean Colorado City at the mouth of arroya? I grew up in the valley.
    If you are down there the plumeria and brugmansia will really do well.

Kathy

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi Gayle!

I look forward to seeing you there. As a newbie, I'm guessing you can sure bring those bougainvillea's. I'm trying not to be selfish, so if some else has their heart set on them, no problem. If not, I would give them a new home! It's been a while since I have had one, but they are very nice. I might have something there that you would like. Several of what I have are very hard to kill!

Tonya

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

No, I'm in Columbus, Texas (Colorado County). My Son lives in San Antonio near the Park.

Gayle

• jettylady
    15 years ago

Okay so far here is what i am bringing..
    coleus
    aloe
    swedish ivy
    basil
    and two or three things that i don't know the name of
    (see why i need help?)
    also some wire baskets and some plant markers both made by me!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Well it was a success as usual. I really enjoyed meeting all the new people, and getting to see everyone else. Kathy was her usual, social butterfly, making sure everything went great. I can't wait to see the pictures. Barbra,

• jettylady
    15 years ago

Gosh ladies and gents...today was awesome...thanks for all the great plants and all the great people you all are...can't wait for spring!!

• Sheila
    15 years ago

I got the pea vine seeds. Thx so much.

Sheila :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!