SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap: Saturday October 13, 2012

rock_oak_deer
11 years ago

Plan your trades here for the San Antonio fall swap.

We'll meet at Rogiers Park in Balcones Heights again this fall.

The attached thread has detailed info on the park and the swap.

Everyone is welcome, especially new gardeners. Trades are not limited to plants. Crafts, food items like homemade jam, and all types of garden items are included. If you want to trade it post it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous swap thread

Comments (143)

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I dug up a few suckers from Roughleaf Dogwood. IF they make it, I'll bring them...no trade necessary if you want one. My yard is pretty crowded with the plants I already have.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I`m not sure how tender squill is but I think it`s pretty tough, it survived Ike and both years of hard freezes we had, that freeze killed my 30` rubber tree and a 25 yo plumeria. But the squill was unfazed.
    Tally HO!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Plant Swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Kathy do you remember how I almost got arrested, getting those cuttings for that gal in Dallas? I still can't belive I did that. The thread asked for anyone in San Antonio area, begging them to take cutting from the rose, because it was going to be destroyed, by construction the next week. I went down after work, started cutting from the sidewalk. The owner came out and asked me what I was doing?I think I almost fainted. The lady from Dallas drove down, but had an emergency. She had to leave before I got off work, so she never got all those cuttings. I never wanted the Rose, I was just trying to help. That was the day I became a Rose Rustler. The owner of the Rose Emporium, worked where I did, and he really wanted that rose, but I never got back with him. Barbra
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall swap

Q

Comments (78)
    This was my first swap and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed getting to meet everyone! You are a great bunch of people which really made it a wonderful experience; I am definitely looking forward to the spring swap when I will actually have stuff to contribute. I'm very, very grateful to all of you who so generously shared plants - and ideas & information - with me even though I had nothing to swap this time. I was able to get most of my new plants potted up late yesterday, got the rosemary frozen (thanks Sheila!) and will plant the last couple plants today. They all look great! Thanks again ~ Jo Ann
    ...See More

Fall swap in San Antonio

Q

Comments (59)
    Hi Gayle! I look forward to seeing you there. As a newbie, I'm guessing you can sure bring those bougainvillea's. I'm trying not to be selfish, so if some else has their heart set on them, no problem. If not, I would give them a new home! It's been a while since I have had one, but they are very nice. I might have something there that you would like. Several of what I have are very hard to kill! Tonya
    ...See More

San Antonio Fall Plant Swap

Q

Comments (211)
    Lisa -- you were missed! You better make it for spring or you'll be in big trouble ... ;-) If anyone is talking to Sheila tell her I'm sorry I forgot to get a bag to put seeds of the Hopi red amaranth in, but I'll bring some to the spring swap. We got to talking about other things and it slipped my mind. Never one to miss a chance to post a picture, lol, this is the plant I'm talking about. I'll be ever grateful to Jolana for passing seeds along to me ...
    ...See More
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Linda,I would love a roughleaf dogwood if it is drought resistant once established.

Tally, DG has Squill violacia rated at 10a. Maybe that is the temperature the foliage is damaged. They can be conservative with their ratings. I have seen mexican oregano rated at Z9 there and I have had it growing through 11 degree snap winter before last without any problem.. I swear I have seen Squill violacia sold at Barton Springs Nursery in Austin out in the landscape section. I will try it. And much it outside. If it has a short lifespan, I will grieve a little knowing I tried. I am more than a tad colder than you . I am pretty high up outside of Austin. Right on the boundary between 8a and 8b. I think the boundary goes through the kitchen.

_always mara

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Mara, I will try to get the agastache started today for you. I have just planted seeds for spinach and some lettuces so might have some big enough to thin by then. Will put both on my list for you.

Donna, thanks for the "moon" info! Can't wait to dig in (pun intended).

Tonya

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna, have a safe trip.

k

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

OPEN GARDEN

Bob and I are opening our little garden after the San Antonio Plant Swap on Oct. 13. I hope you all can come. The time will be from 1:00 to 3:00 or thereabouts.

The swap usually starts at 9:00 and goes on until about 11:30 so this should give people time to get a bite of lunch before heading over our way. There are several restraurants very close to the park.

According to Bing Maps our house is 5.1 miles making it approximately 13 minutes from Rogier's Park. I'll give out directions at the swap.

Please let us know if you are planning to come so I'll have an idea of how many cookies to make (or buy :-).

You can reply through 'My Page' or send an email to: ragnaa at aol dot com

Come and pet the baby albino giraffe ... ;-)

Now back to the swapping!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I spoke to soon about the Mex. oregano. The stems are all woody and they root on fresh growth. If they push out new growth with these fall rains I will try again. Same with the Salvia ballotiflora. I am trying but they are desiccated from the heat and I do grow them hard. Thank you nbtonyafor sticking the agastache in to root. I hope it isn't a dried stalk like I am finding. Most of my salvia is rootable. The melissodora is hard to root so I hope some of them come through.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

OPEN GARDEN

If it's more convenient for anyone to come over immediately after the swap that's fine too.

Addition to trade list:

* Pink leafed arrow head plants that Albert gave me

* Uncle Naps honey fig cuttings

Anybody particularly interested in roses?

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Mara, the dogwoods I see out in the wild are pretty much near by a creek or river. Never noticed any problems at all during the droughts, but I do water from time to time. I've killed my share of plants too. Glad to see some rain here again. It's been SO nice!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Linda, Good to know these details. 5" here .Heavenly

I have some more salvia cuttings Salvia chamaedryoides, A red greggii/macrophyllia hybrid.

Nepeta walker's low cuttings,

Agave burnt Burgundy.

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Mara,

I would be interested in the Salvia chamaedryoides, please! Interesting to hear there is a red variety, the things I found online all showed blue.

Thanks!

Tonya

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Does any one have white and blue walking iris? I would love a start. I have some of the yellow I can swap.
    I don't know what else I might have to trade.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My list of "haves" for the swap

Artemesia: Oriental Limelight
    Mint: Kentucky Colonel
    Salvia: Coral Nymph, Indigo Spires
    Fig Ivy/Creeping Fig
    Dichondra Silver Ponyfoot
    Santolina: Gray & Green
    Brugmansia: I received a pale yellow NOID from Albert about two years ago which I'm naming "princealbert" unofficially. Will be happy to bring cuttings for anyone who would like one.
    Brugmansia Flamenco, Day Break, Double White, (Would prefer to trade for other brugs)
    Wedelia Trilobata: You need plenty of room for this aggressive flowering ground cover.
    Canna warscewiczii: Bronze foliage, red tropical flower, (originally from Patty some of you will already have this one)
    Melinis nerviglumis 'Pink Crystals' ornamental grass (2)
    Echeverria ruyonii
    Dicliptera resupinata

Honeycomb rocks

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Tonya, The reddish one is another salvia, a microphylla gregii hybrid. The S. chamaedryoides is blue with silvery white foliage.I will add the s.ch. to your list.

I stopped in my traditional "post dentist Nursery stop"and bought some Salvia gregii "teresa" , S. gregii 'raspberry' and a Salvia microphylla "wild watermelon" so I will have a few cuttings of these too. I also found a leonitus menthalatum (SP?) in the yard .

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Oh Mara, I misread your sentence. Thanks! Would love a cutting of the red hybrid, and the mycrophylla "wild watermelon", too, please. Feel free to "cut me off" if I am asking for too many! No hard feelings here.

Tonya

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Patty, I will be there. I am bringing giant red leaf crinums for Talley. I took my cactus soil, so I could start digging up plants, but after Betty called. I just wanted to get back home. I am going back this week, to see what I have to offer. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Patty, I will be there. I am bringing giant red leaf crinums for Talley. I took my cactus soil, so I could start digging up plants, but after Betty called. I just wanted to get back home. I am going back this week, to see what I have to offer. Barbra

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Hey folks! Looks like ill be taking the day off so most likely ill be able to go to the swap. I seriously have missed going so I'm real excited. As for what I have to trade, I don't really have much since I've been so busy these last 6 months at SABG. I can make some cactus soil and I was thinking of dividing some irises that I got from Kathy a few years ago that went crazy. Ill write more later.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Joey, you've been missed. I'm so glad to know you're able to come. I still have the purple flowering cactus you gave me years ago. I think it's called 'lace cactus'. In fact it got so big a piece fell off and I rooted it so now I have two. Also appreciate the 'baby rita' I got from you. I'll be bringing various cactus pads and a few other things.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Joey!
    We have missed you too, I'm so glad you checked in to let us know you'll be there.

Even if you don't bring much to trade, you can tell us about SABG, sounds pretty cool.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Joey, glad the iris did well. Patty mentioned them the other day. She does not know they are gone from out front.
    Everything grew too well out there. My poor neighbor can't see to back out of his driveway. I am gradually getting rid of the taller plants.
    k

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

It was good to hear from Joey, but we haven't heard anything from a couple of other regulars like Gina and Meredith. LeapingFrogLady replied to the announcement on the Discussions Forum. I hope that means she's coming. Jim isn't able to make it this time.

Don't anybody worry about not having a bunch of plants to trade. It's just nice to get together once in a while to chat and catch up and I'm pretty sure you'll go home with something :-)

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Hello everyone, I just found this thread. I would like to give away some of my lemongrass, grapefruit and tumeric plants. I will bring them on that swap day. God willing.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I would love some lemongrass and tumeric. Is there anything on my list you are interested in some things are spoken for but many remain.- Mara

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi mamachile and welcome to the swap.

I'd like some lemongrass so please check out my list too.

If there's anything special you are looking for let us know, some things we might not bring unless we know there's a request.

• texaspinkpixie
    11 years ago

Hi mamachile!

I would like a grapefruit if there is something on my list you would like to have in trade :)

Hi Sue!

What kinds of seeds are you interested in growing. I have a huge bag and am harvesting more evertime I get a day off. I will see if I can package up some for you and others that may be intersted. I have a lot of edibles and flowers and I think I would need 10 acres to plant them all out.

Hi Wally!

Are you coming to this swap? I just have a single tip plume right now. Is there anything else you are looking for (btw thanks for the rose of sharon trade)? Hope to see you there:)

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Mara, lemongrass and tumeric, checked
    Rockoakdeer , lemongrass, checked
    Texaspinkpixie, grapefruit, checked

Ok ,

For now I don't know what I want, I just want to give away plants otherwise they would be in the trash.

On the day I will bring some purple pond iris plant. I think someone here may be setting up a water garden who might be interested.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Hi texaspinkpixie, would you like a purple iris plant for your pond?

• flowerlover78
    11 years ago

WELL... I have had a very busy summer, and have been out of the loop. I do know I have that day available..so Yippee! Now what am I bringing... ?!

Anyone want tilapia? I have lots of babies- get with we on email- ginalitwin@yahoo.com

I will try to get my act together and figure some other things out.

What I am looking for. - MINT! I have the peppermint and spearmint, but looking for other varieties like apple or orange.. I did have a pineapple one I will have to see if it is still going good. I am cutting them and making mint teas.. Hope everyone has had a good summer. Gina

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Tilapia is a fish, right? Just checking. Someones trading cupcakes for plants, why not fish. LOL

• texaspinkpixie
    11 years ago

Hi Mamachile!

I would love some purple iris :) And is lemon grass a pond plant too? Someone mentioned it to me today to keep mosquitoes at bay and said it is 10 times better than mosquito shoo geranium (did not know). Do you have a pond and if so I can bring a waterlily peaches and cream. What kinds of plants are you looking for? I am sure I can find something for trade.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Okie doke I went by Lowes and got some clearance sages. Two look like may night salvia and the two others appear to be leucantha but don't quote me as they had no tags. For those who are looking for trading material scanning the clearance racks yields good plants 9 times outta 10

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gina - Glad you can make it.

This thread is getting near the end and I've set up a second thread to continue. Keep using this one to 150, but I'll be busy tomorrow and wanted to make sure it's available. I'll link them together later today.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Hi texaspinkpixie
    Thank you for replying. Yes, purple pond iris is yours as well as lemongrass. I read on yougrowgirl website lemongrass do grow in pond margin very well. I saw the picture and it was stunning. It also a good to rid of mosquito. Yes my husband Mike and I have a little pond but he is not putting anymore plants in it. The koi just ripped them all.

Today I sorted out the yard a bit and found more plants to give out:

Two guava plants .... All with one fruit still hanging.
    One curry plant and,
    One anthurium

Let me know if anyone interested.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Mamachile, I'd like to try the curry plant. Thank you! I know you said you were giving things away, but I'll have some things at the swap to trade if you'd like, or if you know of something you want that I've listed above let me know.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Ok roselee, thank you. See you soon.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the second thread to continue swapping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Continue swapping here

• beachplant
    11 years ago

mamachili, I am interested in your guava! let me know what I can bring you in exchange.
    Tally HO!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

The list so far:

Mamachili-guava
    for: ?

Barb-crinums
    for:

Patty: artillery fern
    for:ginger

Rebecca (Texaspinkpixie):wavy prickly pear, patchouli, brug and water lilies
    For: cereus, spineless nopalito (pink blooms), thalia dealbata, purple stem taro, variegated crinum, variegated agave

Roslee-: chocolate plant, yellow brug
    FOR: variegated crinum, squill

Rock Oak Deer-honeycomb rock please! brug and a cutting of the double white brug pleasepleaseplease I lost mine in Ike.
    FOR: variegated crinum, crinum americanum

Plantmaven: if the chickens haven`t eaten it all I will dig up some of the blue/white walking iris for you, I also have a giant one that I think is a blue/white bloom

Roselee: cuttings of Uncle Napo honey fig
    FOR:

Mara:
    FOR: squill, cereus and spineless pink nopalito

DSTARZ: amaryllis, bromeliads
    FOR:plumeria wave rage and Lee Langetti

Who? What? am I forgetting??? I will update my list on my next day off.
    Tally HO!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You got it Tally, I know there aren't many rocks out there on your island.

Shirley

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Additonal plants for my have list:

White scutellaria, skullcap

Salvia NOID distinctive blue-black flower, looks like 'black and blue' but was not marked.

Kalanchoe laetivirns-Big Momma

• beachplant
    11 years ago

we have rocks, they are just ground up really tiny and called sand LOL!

Rocks and cupcakes, now those are trades! Jim is as excited as I am about the rocks.

Forgot Lisa on my list! How did that happen? Ya`ll weren`t gonna tell me either, they are my cupcakes, mine! all mine! I`ll share.

Lisa: cupcakes
    FOR: whatever you want!, take it all! What can I dig up out of the yard for you?

Tally HO!

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

Above are various flowers that I have growing in my yard. If you would like a cutting, let me know.

{{gwi:1319110}}

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

I have a 6 ft. cane begonia that has enourmous pink florets. I will be cutting her down for the winter. If you would like a cutting, let me know if you have any edibles or herbs or amaryllis (what color?).
    Thing is this cane begonia loves waterdowned beer and soda. It is amazing how tall she has grown on rain water and these other beverages. LOL

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I'd like to try a cutting of the begonia.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

I have green cardamon plant. It is a mediterrainean plant that produces pods used for cooking and are very expensive. However, they are tropical. I have yet to see it bloom. I suppose the dry TX weather is the issue. However, when you water it it smells like cinnamon.

{{gwi:1319114}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I do not want any plants. I am just going to see everyone. Barbra

• dstartz
    11 years ago

Our pecan tree is making a bumper crop this year and my backyard is covered in pecans. Would anyone be interested in trading plants for pecans?

• dstartz
    11 years ago

From what I can tell there are a few other people coming in from out of town as I am. Instead of bringing my camper I got a room (via Priceline) at the Howard Johnson that is just under a mile away from the swap. Contact me privately if you might be interested in sharing the room (I'll be sleeping on an air mattress on the floor as I hate hotel beds).

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

FYI...I will not be at the swap. I have out of town company.

Sponsored