SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renee_2006

Two B/W pics and link to short videos of BB's

renee_2006
15 years ago

Hi everyone, long time no posting. This past Saturday my dh and I finally installed the cam he bought me for my bday almost 2 years ago. I have to say I am glad that we did it before any bird nested in the box because it took a lot longer than I figured it would. I wanted to bury the cable since we don't have any large trees to run it overhead. That took us a long time to do.

The next morning the Blues were checking it out and squeeking at each other. It is pretty cool watching them inside the box. Of course it has pretty windy since then and the baffle makes an awful noise clanking like crazy against the pole. Incase anyone is interested my dh bought a TV card to hook the cam to my computer.

I had been having some problems with the tv card freezing up my computer and have been trying to sort it out. I think I finally fixed the problem.

Here is a link to a very short video that I uploaded to youtube of the female bb in the box the other morning. It is a color cam but I guess there is not enough light that gets inside the box so its black and white instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWb7SJ-848

I was going to upload any videos to photobucket but they changed the size of the video and for some reason that stretched it making it look very narrow. So I'm uploading to youtube instead for now until I can figure out (if I can) how not to stretch the videos.

Also, I found out how to get a stillshot from video using Window Media Center on Windows Vista. The first picture below was captured from the above linked video. The pen markings are from when the box was being built. I am not the best ruler reader so I had to redo measurements. lol

On the below linked video the male Bluebird goes into the box first. He "seems" to be calling the female to join him inside. Its like he's saying, " Hey, come on in and have a good look around. This place is perfect for our nests. Come on in." He sweet talks her into it. After the female comes inside the box the male leaves. The female has a quick look around inside then she also leaves. Here's a link to a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZU3_oK9Pas

This still shot of them in the box together is from the second linked video.

Renee

Rural SW Indiana

Comments (3)