SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rxblue

Bluebirds vs Horses vs Cows

rxblue
14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with having bluebird boxes in pasture with horses? I have 12 boxes spread out over about 40 acres. I have always had cattle on this part of the farm. They would occasionally rub up against the pole a house was mounted on, but hardly ever did any real damage. Toward the end of this last bluebirding season, I got rid of all of the cattle and now have about 20 horses. They are very destructive to the boxes. They chew on the boxes, push the poles over, and they are very attracted by the sparrow spookers that I put up. I am looking for any suggestions on how to discourage this. Is there anything you can think of that I can put around the houses to keep the horses away, but that I still have access to them. I thought about 3 or 4 metal fence post around each house and then string some barbed wire around that, but then I would have trouble getting close to the houses. If anyone has any experience with this or any suggestion, I really would appreciate your input.

Comment (1)