SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattyles_gw

Magnolia Jane West of Lubbock?

10 years ago

Hi Texans!

Can I get a woot-woot for some rain finally in the South Plains area?? Okay, I know it's still no where near enough but it's 4-5 inches more than we had. Three more feet and we'll be caught up. :)

I'm a sucker for plants on their last leg, I am happy to have learned I am not alone in that habit. At the beginning of spring, I bought a Magnolia Jane at Wally World that had frozen twice and not had any water in ages. I potted the poor little twig up, gave it a daily pep talk with it's water and put it beside some crazy over achieving crossvines and mandevilles so it would have good examples. But I didn't have much hope.

Well, it's grown about 3 feet and has huge leaves on every possible surface. What the heck do I do with it now? The more I read, the more confused I am about what exposure it needs.

It definitely does not seem to enjoy our lovely hot out of the oven wind. All of those huge leaves have crunchy edges even though I keep it evenly moist. It's about as protected from the wind as it's gonna get. I feel like I did the wrong thing by saving it sort of. But I did.

I'm going to plant it after it cools off. I can put it by the back fence, somewhat under canopy of a live oak, where it will get a Southern exposure and miss the worst of the afternoon sun, or south side of front yard, under a huge pine with more wind exposure, or north side of house under more pines but dappled sun and moderate wind protection. Better yet, I can meet one of y'all halfway that lives in a more appropriate zone that wants to adopt her so she can live in a happier place than west of Lubbock?

I guess you can tell I've gotten a little attached to it. Where does it stand the best chance? Thank you for your patience. I always seem to get too wordy talking about plants.

Comments (2)