SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tompy_gw

ID assistance please

tompy
11 years ago

I live in southwest ohio and this was taken today. Any Ideas of what it is?

Comments (16)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Looks like a Eastern Bluebird.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

I agree with Konrad. Apparently Eastern Bluebirds used to be common in Ohio, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

There's even an Ohio Bluebird Society.

How come people in Ohio see bluebirds and I've still never seen one here in Eastern Massachusetts?

Claire (who lives in a wooded area where bluebirds don't like to visit)

• lisa11310
    11 years ago

West Mi. here . Yes it is an Eastern Bluebird. If you would like to host them please go to www.sialis.org They will steal your heart!

• tompy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I never expected to see a Bluebird in January in the city.

• tmff
    11 years ago

Claire,
    It is the wooded area that deters the bluebirds. They are an "open grassy field with scattered trees" kind of species. Perhaps you'd find one at a park. I know they breed in MA, but you'll probably have to travel a bit to find one in its proper habitat.

11 years ago

TMFF: We specialize in woods and marshes here, so I don't really expect to see bluebirds, I'd just like to.

There are a few houses with large cleared areas, and there's a gentleman-farmer type property with Scottish Highland cattle and Guinea Fowl nearby. I often walk there to check out the cattle and marvel at the screechy guineas. Haven't seen bluebirds, though.

Claire

• tmff
    11 years ago

I hear ya, Claire. They are wonderful little birds to see. I think I am somewhat guilty of taking them for granted. Here in eastern KS, I see them at every turn all year long: on wires, street signs, and nesting in the boxes at a local county park I like to visit. They flutter around nearby as I walk my dog. One day I had a male perched on my chimney and his chattering song filled my family room as it funneled down through the fireplace. That was nice.
    I've never had the pleasure of seeing guineafowl. Very cool.

11 years ago

Last February, I saw these Helmeted Guineafowl on my walk.

Very cool indeed, and they eat ticks!

Claire

• tmff
    11 years ago

Check those things out! And they eat ticks? I already love them!

11 years ago

The Gentleman Farmers let the guineafowl run loose during the daytime. They probably come inside at night, otherwise they wouldn't last long with the foxes and coyotes, etc.

I suspect their main purpose is to eat ticks that would plague the cattle, but they spread out into the neighboring yards foraging for whatever. They also stop traffic (the roads aren't heavily trafficked here). I once had to stop my car, get out, and shoo them off the road, to the great amusement of a person walking by. A local Verizon guy said they surround him squawking when he has to work on a panel box by the farm.

Claire

• kendra2003
    11 years ago

I have Guinea Fowl, and I always keep them within a fenced in yard during the day (wings clipped so they don't fly over the fence), and in the coop at night. There is someone down the street a ways that lets them run free and they do indeed stop traffic. They are very loud and I don't want them to annoy my neighbors. Thankfully I'm down to 2 hens. More than enough to eat the ticks and the yellow jackets that used to nest in my yard.

11 years ago

They eat yellow jackets too? A wonder bird!

Claire

• anne_cape_cod
    11 years ago

Claire, I also live on Cape Cod, and although next to a pitch pine woods, we do have Blue Birds year-round. they nest in a birdhouse we put up for them.

11 years ago

What a beauty, anne_cape_cod! You say you're next to a pitch pine woods, how much open space is there for the bluebirds?

Someone on the New England forum used to report bluebirds in Brewster on the Cape.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:58

• anne_cape_cod
    11 years ago

Claire, the only open space on our street are front lawns. The first time we saw bluebirds in our backyard was several years ago when we had a lot of snow on the ground. The bluebirds were eating beef suet. That was the very first time I had ever seen bluebirds. So in the spring we put up a bluebird box, but they didn't use it. We tried placing the box in various places until we finally located it in the front yard at the side of the house. That did it, and every year since, they have nested in it. They have two or three broods a year. In the photo they are eating the homemade stuff we make with peanut butter, lard, flour, and other ingredients.

• anne_cape_cod
    11 years ago

This is the ohoto i forgot to attach to my last message.