SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

excluding blackbirds---need help!

Ann
14 years ago

Hello,

I bought a feeder last year that looks like two metal plates separated by a cage with 1 1/2 " wire fencing. In the middle is a suet cage. I keep my mealworm warmer in there.

This keeps the starlings out, however, if they reach as far as they can, they DO get suet. Not much, but enough to keep them coming back and mobbing the feeder. The suet doesn't disappear very fast, but they clearly are getting something. They're also eating mealworms!!! And the blues won't come near if there's a mob of birds there.

I also have a feeder that has clear sides and 1/1/2 " holes, but they can stick their heads in there too and steal whatever I put in.

I want to make a much larger version of the cage-type feeder so they absolutely can't reach the food. I've looked everywhere and can't find suitable fencing/screening. Has anyone done anything like this? Does anyone have any better ideas that would TOTALLY EXCLUDE larger birds?

Also, does anyone feed these birds? Will they eat the cheap seed mixes? If I can dump a bag of seed far away, will they mob that instead?

Thanks,

Ann

Comments (15)