SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

short of trapping....

bettycbowen
13 years ago

After my blue's second brood last summer I put up a new house - bad move perhaps but the old one was getting really raggedy and I felt it was letting in too much moisture - they rejected the new house, so I put the old one up next to it, so they would have a choice. I figured I'd close off whichever they reject.

They never really left, I think they raised their last brood high up in my pecan tree (where woodpeckers have nested for decades) But have been really active and visible the past few weeks, visiting the new house, sitting on top quite a bit. This morning however, they were hanging out on the old house, and got chased off by a HOSP who then spent quite a lot of time sitting on top. I went out and chased him off, checked both houses just in case somebody had started a nest (no). My sparrow spooker is ready.

So, short of trapping, do I have other options here? Vigilance?

I'd put suet out for them but it seems to attract starlings, who nest in my giant sycamore too high for me to deal with. (but the blues LOVE the sycamore caterpillars - they beat them to death on my deck)

Comments (14)