SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

'..additional pressure on birds...'

Elly_NJ
14 years ago

American Bird Conservancy has produced a new, short video "Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds." Each year, feral and free-roaming cats kill hundreds of millions of our nation's birds, putting additional pressure on the populations of many species that are in decline.

Trap, Neuter, and Release (TNR) programs catch feral cats, neuter them, and then release them back to their colonies, which are subsequently maintained by volunteers. In theory, cat colonies managed under TNR will diminish over time through attrition, and eventually disappear. In practice this is not the case.

I know this will ignite debate. I hope all will watch the video (supported by state and federal wildlife agencies) before they explain how their cats don't have an effect on the environment, or how cats have been killing birds for hundreds of years. There are fewer and fewer birds to kill.

Me, I am not going to follow-up a discussion, as my point is made in the video. I hope it can change some minds.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad for cats, disaster for birds

Comments (8)