SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craziecomrade

Venus Fly Traps and some type of Pitcher Plant

craziecomrade
14 years ago

I recently bought 4 VFT's and 2 different breeds of pitcher plants. They are all planted together in a long 2' flower box. The soil is mostly spagnum moss and some plain dirt, no fertilizers. So when I first got them a couple of the VFT's weren't looking too good, some leaves turned black and they went kinda limp.

Then I realized it was because I wasn't watering them enough, so I thoroughly watered them and nothing new has turned black yet. But a lot had turned black so those two look pretty small now (with just a few stems). So my questions:

1. How do you know how much to water? I keep seeing very wet but not like soaking wet. What the heck is that supposed to mean? Because now I have the two VFT's I mentioned earlier that are recovering, there's one that looks really good, and then the fourth one hasn't been turning black but it just looks limp. I'm mainly concerned that maybe I'm over watering the limp one? How can you tell if they're being over or under watered?

2. One of the pitcher plants is tall and only has about 5 stalks(I believe it's an American pitcher plant). It had brown edges when I got it and it's very slowly becoming more and more brown, so I'm wondering if they're supposed to be browning or if they should be all green and red like the rest of the pitcher.

3. The second pitcher plant looks slightly different in that it's short and wide, but had maybe 20 stalks coming out all over the place. It looks kind of like a cobra but doesn't have that bow tie looking part. The bottom pitchers are turning brown, should I be concerned with this? The box is placed inside so everything doesn't get 360 degree sun but it right up to a huge glass door, so maybe that plant just isn't getting enough sun?

4. Am I just over worrying? Could all of this just be the initial shock from repotting?

Comments (4)

Sponsored