SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

cat eats venus fly trap

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Hey there. I've posted before and gotten some good responses, so I look forward to hearing on this one. My 6 month old male tabby, Jasper, just ate my brand new Venus Fly Trap plant! He and I are getting our own place... Next Wednesday we move in. For now, since we are with a roomate space is limited so my roomate made us put the litter box outside on the screened porch and we let him out go to and back in when he starts meowing to come back in. Sometimmes he likes to linger a while and people watch, and sometimes he wants back in as soon as he "flushes". Well, I just bought a vft plant yesterday and put it on the porch so it could get some sunlight. I didn't even think about my little tiger tearing it apart. I let him out this morning to "go" and when I opened the sliding door, I found to my dismay my new plant torn to shreds. Some of the leaves had bites taken out and others were just loose on the ground. I don't know how much he injested, but he is just fine, it wasn't toxic to him. I started to take his Nintendo away as punishment, but he is so beautiful and sweet that he can kiss his way out of any mischeif. All joking aside, I know I can't "punish" him for being a cat and it's my fault for not preventing it. How do you protect your plants? I thought about covering it in an upturned clothesbasket, but I don't want to block the sunlight. Can I kitty proof my plants in a way that they will still get sunlight? I thought about putting a mesh screen over them, but it might get stuck in Jasper's paws furthering the problem. As a sidenote, do you sleep in bed with your cats? I want him by my side all the time because I love him so much, but I am scared to roll over and squish him. I know they run if they are under a car and the car starts up, but I'm just wondering how they are in bed. If we were both asleep, and I moved I would be scared of something tragic happening. I've only had him a month so I've got a lot to learn and I am not ready to lose him... I know one day it is inevitable, but I don't want to think about that right now. I just look forward to a long happy love filled life together. Thanks for any help!!

Comments (2)