SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_d31

Sitting on the front porch, watching the snow melt.

John_D
19 years ago

We dont get snow very often, and when we do, it does not stay for long. Last week was an exception. Three inches of snow were accompanied by frigid Canadian air, and the snow stuck around. Since daytime temperatures rose into the thirties, the snow slowly melted over a period of several days. Usually, warm rain follows snow in our region and washes the white stuff away in a few hours, but not this time.

This gave me an opportunity I rarely have: From the shelter of my porch, I could watch the snow melt. I watched the snow compact, as the flakes turned into ice crystals, and noticed that the crystals formed lacy fringes where the snowy coverlet shrunk away from trees, ferns, and tufts of grass. First the garden sculptures and rocks lost their white mantillas, then the stepping stones magically reappeared, and the white cushions of the benches melted away.

Last night, the temperature stayed above 40ºF and this morning most of the snow is gone. But I took notes and photos during its disappearing act. Now I have to figure out how to write about it. . . .

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH