SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsur_gw

Tile Finish Over Concrete Covered Front Entry Porch

hsur
15 years ago

Our covered front entry porch (3 foot by 12 foot) is currently painted concrete that with blowing rain or snow usually has standing water for a day after the rain (or snow melt) due to the surface being abour 3/8 inch higher at the outer edge. I would like to change the slope to permit drainage. I am asking for suggestions on the best way to complete the task. Here is my initial thought. Is my plan good or should I revise it.

Step 1) add a topping coat of concrete to bring the slope to 1/4 inch per foot (3/4 inch total over the three foot run from front door to the one step down to the sidewalk). This will permit drainage and standing water or ice build up during snowmelt and evening refreeze. Any idea what masonary product would work (premix concrete other)

Step 2) I would like to add a tile(or similar product) finish using 1 foot square product. Do they offer a outdoor tile, adheasive, and grout that would be suitable for outdoor wet area use? I need a tile that is rough enough to be slip resistent when wet. The step is used for for foot traffic into the house as well as a 2 person bench seat. I use a plastic snow shovel to remove the snow in the winter. We normaly do not use salt products to melt the snow.

Any thoughts on what materials would work best. If you have another approach that would work better, I am open.

Thanks

Harold

Comments (5)