SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

San Antonio Fall swap

natvtxn
16 years ago

Fair warning.....you have 91 days to get ready for the San Antonio/ McArthur Park swap.

I paid the permit fee today.

It will be Saturday Oct. 13, 2007 in Pavillion # 1 @ McArthur park on North Loop 410.

As usual no alcohol or glass containers.

Do we want to try a meal this time?

We can start setting up as early as 9:00 a.m.

We need to decide on a start time. I think 11:00 a.m. like last time is a good time.

Suggestions wanted!

Comments (78)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

I have potted up candle stick plants, angel trumphets, and passionflora, so far. Does anyone want sago palm? Barbra

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Someone asked about inviting folks from another forum.

Invite any and everyone you think would enjoy a swap.

When I went to buy the permit, the young lady asked what a plant swap was. She was so excited about it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Averagejoe, thanks for the name of the aloe, Aloe saponaria, that I've been calling "the pretty one that blooms all the time."

Is there anyone that wants it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe Saponaria

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Barbra - I'd love to swap you something for a sago palm. We've put a pond in and are trying to go "tropical" in that area, and have been looking for palms. Check out my previous post on what I might have to swap and let me know if I'd be able to swap you for that palm! Thanks! Naomi

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Naomi, how many sago palms do you want? I will pop,and pot the pups this weekend, they are really quite large. Should be rooted by October. Barbra

• jeff_satx
    16 years ago

Hello all. I recently sold my house in Schertz and the buyer had the nerve to ask for all my potted (inside and outside alike) plants! Due to the fact that we are in the process of building anew house and didn't have a place to care for all my plants while the house was being built I relented. Now the fun begins as I have to start all over! I hope to make it out to the SA Plant Exchange to see all your wonderful plants and start planning what I want to do with my new yard come January!

BTW I am an Elephant Ear junkie, I just love them and our climate is great for growing them. Before we moved I had about a dozen varieties and will get them and more back once we get out of our temporary housing!

Here is a link that might be useful: My favorite plant catalog! If you don't get it already, order it!

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Barbra - I'd love to have two or three pups, if you have them. I can use them on the three sides of our pond. But, I'm more than happy to take less than that! I have to remember not to be too greedy and get more plants than I can realistically put in the ground, although, I have had no trouble finding places for them so far. Thanks so much!
    Naomi

• hmknepp
    16 years ago

I think I can actually make it! I know I have a bajillion African violets and spider plants. I'll bring the violets, but I don't know if anyone besides my cat (who eats them constantly) likes spider plants. I inherited them all when my dad died last August. I'm not sure what else is exploding outside - I'm sure there are plenty of things I need to split/dig up/thin out but since school has started, I just haven't gotten out into the garden like I want :(.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumpity bump, just in case there are newbies that have yet to see this.

• tshcd
    16 years ago

Ooooh...I love spider plants, hmknepp!

Would anyone want angel-wing begonias? Trying to figure out what to bring...

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Naomi, I was not able to get any new pups, I tried, but did not have the strength in my hands to work with the shovel. In June, I took a bunch of pups from the sago, and still have 3 in one pot. I will bring them to the swap for you. These are already established and rooted, so you won't have to worry about them this winter. I finally realized that I will not be able to do what I did for the last swap, when I took over 150 plants. The spirit is willing but the body is not. I think just being able to go, and meet everyone, will be great. Barbra

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Barbra if you need help to get everything together for the swap I can come over and help on Friday. Or Saturday morning, just drop me an email!
    ~Michelle

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Roselee. I am coming all the way from Austin for some of your Aloe saponaria! Please save some for me! I have sedum, agave pups (pretty blue), hyacinth bean seeds for trade as of now.

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Barbra - sorry for the late reply, but I'm looking forward to getting those sagos. I keep passing by sagos for sale and have to remind myself that I'll be getting those from you! Of course, that doesn't stop me from buying other plants...see you soon!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Naomi, I will be there, with the pot of sago palms.

Kathy, is there a sign up sheet to bring food?

Barbra,

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, that's why it will be potluck. LOL!
    Each person/couple will need to bring a dish and their own utensils, paper plates, drinks etc.

I made an offer on a house last night and they countered today, so I should know in a few days. It's close to you, in Parkwood.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Kathy, thats wonderful! I would love to have you living close to me.

I was just thinking, what if 10 people brought potato salad. If we had some kind of sign up sheet we would not have a problem like that. What do you all think?

I will bring a desert- millionaire bars.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you want to start a list go ahead. Probably a good idea.

Someone told me what had happened in the past, was there were more desserts than anything else. But When I went to Carol's there was a nice assortment. About the only thing left over was some fried chicken and a vegetable tray. As I did not have my own vehicle, I did eat some chicken at dinner that eveniing
    I will be bringing cabbage roll caserole, in my crockpot.

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

I'll try to go. I don't have anything to trade. (Wish I was better a propagating!!) But, I'll bring something to eat.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds good. Also you can bring other garden items. Extra plastic pots, old garden magazines, tools you no longer want. Last time several folks brought bags of horse and chicken poo to use for compost.

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

Sounds good, LOL, I'm sure I've got some stuff around here that someone would want!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

red_geranium I will have some aloe there for you come h ... well, I will make sure it gets there :-)

This is a picture of it from this spring. The color is pumped up a little on account of the picture being used for another purpose:

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    I saw the post about the chicken manure earlier. If someone is bringing it this time, I'd like some.
    Thanks!

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Roselee - that pic is gorgeous! Is that aloe the same as soap aloe? I got some small aloes at a recent swap in Austin (they called them "soap aloes"), and I'll be ecstatic if it is the same one. Do you put it in the ground? What about freezes? Maybe I'll bring a small one for plant ID and possible swap.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Yes Naomi, according to the link below it is the same thing. Perhaps saponaria means soap in Latin. Their official name is Aloe saponaria.

The link below says:

"The sap from the juicy leaves makes suds in water and can be used as a soap substitute."

The sap from the leaves can also be used for stings, bites and burns just like the smaller Aloe vera.

I have the wheel barrow piled high with some huge specimens (recently dug) that people will have to drag out of the back of my minivan, and a box with some pups. It doesn't bother them at all to have their roots exposed like this before planting.

Do you think if I bring them all they will all be taken?

Here is a link that might be useful: Soap Aloe

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Mine are planted in the ground. A freeze will burn the tips a bit, but they soon recover in the spring. A blanket could be thrown over them when a freeze is expected to prevent the burning. They bloom heavily in the spring, and then there are always quite a few blooms all summer long.

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

I have these plants. What do you want me to bring you ? I don't want to bring everything, so would love for everyone to let me know what they're interested in. Please email me directly instead of posting here; I may not come back to check here often enough. Please email soon, since I only have until tomorrow to pack up the truck.

one large bay laurel
    ice plant
    lyre leaf salvia
    salvia involucrata
    airplane plants
    old man's pipe
    ardisia
    butterfly iris
    liriope
    purple heart trandescantia
    angel trumpet
    sideoats gamma grass
    vinca
    bulbine
    coral bean
    mexican honeysuckle
    pavonia rock rose
    canna
    ficus
    pothos starts
    potato vine dioscorea bulbifera
    carrolina jessamine
    night blooming cereus
    mexican flame vine
    ruellia brittoniana dwarf and tall, pink and purple
    ruellia squarrosa
    salvia coccinea, white, dreamsicle, red
    walking onion
    redbird cactus
    rose of sharon
    yellow flag iris
    turks cap red
    pregnant onion
    var. artemisia
    large elephant ears
    sedums
    hot lips salvia
    datura
    milkweed asclepias
    society garlic
    brazos penstemon
    hibiscus
    lindheimers senna
    red yucca
    banana
    eyelash salvia blepharophylla
    rudbeckia
    yellow begonia
    artillery fern
    african hosta
    common kalanchoe
    tickseed kalanchoe
    var. kalanchoe
    christmas cactus
    jade
    alamo vine native
    carrion plant/starfish flower
    crassula
    asparagus fern
    variegated and vick's plant plectranthus
    oxalis
    chives
    cussus quadrangularis
    aloe vera
    jewels of opar
    pink passion vine
    queens crown / coral vine
    trumpet vine
    butterfly vine
    arrowhead plant
    haworthia
    native lantana
    pride of barbados
    lady banks rose
    old pink climbing rose
    cast iron apidistra

I only have one specimen of some of these, so the first person to contact me about it will get it.

Thanks !
    patty

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Peace lily

Pleeeeeeze take them !

patty

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Okay, here's my list of things I can bring - if you want something, email me direct also so I know what to get ready:
    Aloe (for Joe and anyone else who wants some)
    Elephant ears (green)
    cannas (red w/ green leaves - 2 types; orange with green/yellow leaves, purple leaves - don't know flower color yet)
    bearded irises (various colors)
    lamb's ear
    water lilies (white and pink)
    catnip
    basil
    various succulent starts
    Pink and purple oxalis

Let me know - can't wait until Saturday! Anyone else driving from Leander/ Cedar Park/ Austin?

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Here's my haves & wants. I will also bring a pasta salad.

Have-
    Moy Grande Hibiscus
    Billbergia Nutans
    Yellow Walking Iris
    Shell Ginger - Green (Not Variegated)
    Lrg. Macho Fern
    Heliconia Pitt. - St. Vincent's Red

Want-
    Passion Vine
    Gloriosa Lily Vine
    Spider Lily
    Toad Lily
    Bird's Nest Fern
    Musifolia - Banana Canna

Thanks!
    Beth

• castro_gardener
    16 years ago

Hi Naomi, I think on your personal GW page you may not have clicked the button to allow your email address to be shown.

If anyone knows Naomi can you write to her and let her know I'm trying to email her ? Thank you.

Naomi, if you see this, please email me. I would like your canna with purple leaves, bearded iris (do you know any colors ?), catnip, and succulent starts, depending on which ones. Is there anything on my list that you'd like ? It's located just above your post.

Thank you !

patty

• linda_tx8
    16 years ago

GW has some bugs on GW emails, so quite often you can't contact people through GW, even if the settings are set to allow GW emails. This has been going on since the big screw-up after Spike sold it to iVillage and they wanted to "improve" it...was NOT an improvement!
    Anyway, I could take a catnip if you have enough, Naomi. Here's my list, most have only one:
    Primrose Jasmine
    Flame Acanthus
    Lindheimer's Morning Glory
    Maypop (native passionflower)
    Century Plant (won't bring unless someone wants it)
    Bird of Paradise
    Snakeherb
    Spreading Snakeherb
    Mexican Firebush
    Rock Rose (the native one)
    Big Red Sage
    Tahitian Bridal Veil
    Autumn Sage (white)
    Plumeria (yellow)
    Red Yucca (if anyone wants it, I'll bring it)
    some purple wandering jew type plants (can't remember if that has another name)
    Garlic Chives

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Sorry about the email thing - I've got it fixed now.

Patty - you have so much, I have no idea! I'll have to read up on all the plants you have just to figure out what they are! :-) I have a full sun yard, like colors, flowers, grasses (prefer all natives b/c I'm not a careful gardener), so I would even take whatever you suggest. Maybe some butterfly iris and hibiscus (if it's native and can take planting outdoor)? And swap some cannas - Cannabeth got me hooked on them, so now the more, the better!

I'll save you a purple leafed canna, iris (colors - blue, white and lavender maybe?), and catnip. The succulents I'll have to figure out exactly which ones I have and repost.

Linda - I'll bring a catnip for you also, and would love to trade for the flame acanthus or mexican firebush.

• naomiw31
    16 years ago

Patty - I've already seen something else on your list. The mexican flame vine - that's what I'd like...of course, it only #20 on your list, and I have at least 30 more plants to look up and change my mind about...but really, the flame vine is cool - definitely trade for that if it's still available. I'm just going to stop looking now so I won't change my mind again.

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

Hi! Here's what I have to trade.

Billbergia Nutans
    Aloe saponaria
    Heliconia psittacorum Choconiana (orange flower)
    night blooming cereus
    Purple wandering jew
    Chile pequin
    Black Knight Canna (red flower)
    Colocasia (Royal Cho)
    Crinum (white flower I believe)
    Jewel of Opar (small plant)-I also have a big one I can dig up if anyone wants it, let me know.
    Bulbine
    Mother of Thousands
    Bulbine
    Society Garlic
    Papalo seeds (similar to Cilantro)

Would like:
    Passion flower
    Sage
    Garlic (Elephant)
    Cypress vine
    Day lilies
    cussis quadrangularis
    African hosta
    Fragrant perennials or cold hardy for 8B
    Sun plants for color
    Rock rose

I have aloe (medicinal) that I can take.

Thanks
    Rose

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

I'm interested in any succulents that can make it through the winter outside.

As well as the soap aloes I'm bringing some Pretoria canna corms and a small few upright ruffled edged EEs.

See ya'll there ... :-)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Rose, you have mail. Barbra,

• linda_tx8
    16 years ago

What a great swap! Well worth it! Thanks to Kathy and all who helped! Did anyone take pictures? Such a shame some people didn't make it. But it was fun, wasn't it? And I got home just fine...little problem starting my truck, so I'll have to get it checked.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I am so glad you got home ok. I thought of you several times last night, hoping you and your plants got home ok.

I took 5 pictures only. I guess we were having too much fun. Isn't it fun to laugh so much?

I think Michelle had her camera.

Here are the few I took.

{{gwi:1360389}}

{{gwi:1336345}}
    {{gwi:1336344}}

{{gwi:1360390}}

{{gwi:1336343}}

In one of the conversations, Michelle and I realized we will be living near each other. With Barbra in one direction and you waaaay out the other.

I got stopped on the way home.

{{gwi:1360392}}
    Maybe he qualifies as a mulch guy. He was trying to look serious and not laugh while I took his picture.
    Actually this is a friend of mine. Any one at the last swap met his wife and boys. They were the ones with red hair. I have been friends with them for 10 years. Wonderful family. Kimmy, I am sorry you are sick and could not make this swap.

Naomi, I really enjoyed teasing and joking with you.
    I am so glad Beth, Rose and Naomi made the drive from Leander.

There were several "newbies", they said they can hardly wait from the spring swap.

• cannabeth
    16 years ago

Hi All,

Had such a great time at the swap. My 12-yr-old son was very impressed with the Blue Moon Pumpkin. Another point for gardeners! I'm so happy with my new plants and looking forward to seeing all of you again in the spring.

Beth

• michellesg
    16 years ago

I have a few pictures! I'll download them today, promise. We had visitors in town this weekend so I was only able to stay for a bit but I got to see everyone and hang out for a bit. It was really nice to be able to chat more than the last time we got together. I can't wait to go out and plant all the new stuff. And I'll start more cuttings of the Ecuadorian Pink Brug for you guys too. It's amazing how fast it grows when you just fertilize the sucker...

• jcat2
    16 years ago

This was my first swap and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed getting to meet everyone! You are a great bunch of people which really made it a wonderful experience; I am definitely looking forward to the spring swap when I will actually have stuff to contribute. I'm very, very grateful to all of you who so generously shared plants - and ideas & information - with me even though I had nothing to swap this time. I was able to get most of my new plants potted up late yesterday, got the rosemary frozen (thanks Sheila!) and will plant the last couple plants today. They all look great! Thanks again ~ Jo Ann

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

It was so nice meeting everyone. I had a wonderful time. I really enjoyed the group from Austin. I have so many wonderful plants to plant. Shiela I hope someday you can meet Linda Collins, she loves herbs and cooking with them, as much as you do. Kathy, did such as wonderful job in putting this together, Thank you Kathy. Barbra,

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Just a few pics

• Rosetx
    16 years ago

You all took some great pictures! I had the best time at the swap. All of you have so much information to share which is wonderful for some of us that are just starting out. Thank you so much for great plants, great food, and the great hospitality. See you at the Buda swap if you go.

Barbra, did you say you had a picture of the crinum you gave me when it's flowering. If so, would you e-mail it to me. Hope to see you soon.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Rose I do not have a picture of the bloom, but I am going down this weekend. Four weeks ago it was just beautiful, it was hugh. Three weeks ago Ruth saw it when she came by, she loved it. I will take a picture of what is left of the bloom Barbra,

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Looks like y'all had a great time sorry I wasn't able to make. Maybe some year I will.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Rose, I just typed on my computer the words " picture of giant red leaf crinum" and the picture popped up, but it is a picture of a faded bloom, the bloom on the side of Daves Gardens is more like it, but it is not fully opened. If I were to guess the size of the bloom it is as large as a white paper plate, but it blooms face up, like a hand that is opened. Barbra,

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Ohh, I am so sorry I had to miss this! We had an emergency out-of-town trip which sadly ended with a memorial service. (No time or ability to be on the computer.) It looks and sounds as if it was a great swap! Hopefully next year, if not before, I can meet some of you San Antonians! Also, I discovered while reading the postings, that there are a number of folks that are my neighbors here in LEANDER. Would love to meet you!

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

Yes, It was a great swap!!!
    Thank you everyone. I had a great time. It was great to meet everyone. Everyone was so generous and nice.

I had to go to California afterwards, so it took me awhile to catch up on all the threads. Then, it took me awhile to find the swap thread.

Thank you everyone. It was a lot of fun.

Hopefully, next time, I will have more plants to swap.

Thank you for taking the pictures.