SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Cactus Fruit Juice

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

I suppose due to the plentiful spring rains, the cactus pears are especially plump and delicious looking this year and so I decided to begin harvesting some for use. They are packed with Vitamin C and fiber. They are a bit of work but I'm getting the hang of it and have gotten over my intimidation of the prickly part. I used tongs to collect and handle them and the relatively few fine hairs on the pears were easy to remove with a vegetable brush.
The video explains the rest and there are other videos of interest on that page related to using cactus. I would only add that when you've got the blended cactus pear juice in a mesh strainer (I skipped the cloth) you have to stir it around to help it through the mesh or otherwise you end up throwing out the good jelly-like pulp with the seeds.
I mixed the strained cactus pear juice in a blender with watermelon, some fresh mint leaves and a squeeze of lime. Yum!
I'm guessing the juice would also be amazing included in a homemade sangria.

If you are harvesting your prickly cactus pears I'd love to hear what you are doing with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to prepare cactus pears

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus