SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jody_with_a_y

Evergreen shade shrub

jody_with_a_y
15 years ago

I've lurked here a fair amount in the past, but am new to posting here. I'm hoping all you incredibly informative people can help me a bit. I'm in Austin, and am looking for an evergreen shrub type of plant that will grow well in almost full shade - very light dappled sun very early in the morning, but for the most part, all shade. This would be for a background foundation plant, in front of which I'll plant perennials and annuals. I don't really want it to be more than 4 feet high. The soil is between clay and loam, not too bad for drainage or digging.

A couple of years ago, I planted pittosporums, and they never grew. They're still there and are alive, but are almost the same size as when I bought them. I don't really understand this because everything I've read about pittosporum is that it adapts well to shade or sun, and almost any soil.

The recommendations I've gotten from nearby nurseries are:

japanese aralia - very pretty, but will it get too big, and does it really serve the purpose of a bush/hedge?

split leaf philodendron - same concern as aralia

cast iron plant - this would probably work well, but I just don't like the looks of it

ferns - which types?

euonymus plant - will this really grow in shade? It looks like a "partial sun" plant, and I've been down that road before. All the "partial sun" plants I've put there have died.

I suppose another option I have is to leave the pittosporum there, if someone here tells me that it will really actually grow in shade, or that I'm being too impatient. I just thought they would have grown some in the past 2.5 years, but they've barely grown at all, and a couple of them haven't.

I don't care for nandina or yaupon holly. All these qualifications have probably narrowed my selection down to about 2 plants, if that. :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (6)