SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctsnicholas

Evergreen Shrub for Mostly full shade Zone 5

ctsnicholas
4 years ago

I am looking for an evergreen that will grow to at least 6' tall but preferably 8' tall or more assuming that it can be kept pruned back to that 8' mark. It will be on the north side of a house and receive almost all shade except for one or two hours of sun in the months of May thru September, before and after those months it will be basically full shade.

I was thinking the emerald green arborvitae would be a good choice but wanted to get a second opinion. I believe I read they can handle nearly full shade but that they have root rot issues so I would need to make the soil sandy so they roots don't soak in water being on the north side.

Another option is the hemlock as they don't care about full shade or not, but I am afraid the hemlock looks a little thin and won't grow into a dense screen to stop snow from blowing in.

Are there other options I am missing? Most leaved evergreens do not handle pruning very well after several years of it, and I want these to block snow from blowing in on the north side porch.

Comments (16)