SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

best natural way to help my ginseng ?

dirtgirl
19 years ago

I posted a while back that I had discovered a small patch of ginseng in an area that had been cleared of honeysuckle. This is a group of less than 10 individual plants, and only two of these still had seeds developing. I suspect the turkeys had done in the rest. I covered the plants with chicken wire and the seeds are now turning red and ready to collect. I have read that stratifying the seed is VERY labor intensive. I want to know if it is simply possible to shallowly plant the few seeds that are available right there in the vicinity of this small remaining colony? I mean, in nature there would be no sand filled trays or refrigeration units or anything like what the articles suggest to stratify. What seeds were not carried off by animals just remained where they fell to the ground and were covered by leaves in the fall. I'm not wanting to get gobs of plants and then dig the roots for $$, I simply would like to see this species return to its former more common status here in these woods.

Does anyone have advice?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional